28 January 2014, 18:03
Russian Church spokesman urges interference to stop Ukraine getting on EU-bound course
Moscow, January 28, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin has lashed out against the pro-European Union movement in Ukraine and called for interference to keep the country within "Eastern Christian civilization."
"A small group of people who are being led by views that are false both from the theological and from the public point of view are going to lengths that not even a large nation would do - they are trying to scrap a historical choice and will of an entire nation," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said at a meeting at Russia's upper house of parliament on Tuesday.
People that are bound together by their historical choice, a choice taken by Prince Vladimir in "the baptistery of Kiev," must help those who "are in crisis in the face of an invasion of a new horde," he said.
"It is absolutely clear that external forces will inevitably be involved in making decisions on the future of Ukraine. It will apparently be impossible to keep everything within the limits of domestic processes. This means there will be some kind of interference anyway. This means the possibility of interference by forces that don't want Ukraine to remain part of Eastern Christian civilization," he said.
The only way to defeat such forces is "the participation of the entire civilization that is kept together by shared history in what is happening to the people of Ukraine," he said.
"Such participation is essential, without any attention paid to any new horde and without worrying what would be said to us or about us, even in the run-up of the upcoming events in Sochi, events what will be extremely significant for us," the priest said.
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13