04 February 2014, 16:02
Kazan seminary case is being investigated - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has denied the allegations that the events that have taken place in the Kazan seminary are not being investigated.
Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev, the author of a popular blog, has started a debate on the "gay lobby" in the Russian Church, citing anonymous testimonies on homosexuals among priests and bishops. Specifically, he said students of the Kazan seminary have complained about sexual harassment by one of their mentors, who is a priest.
"Why is someone assuming that this case is not being investigated? A common church court is the last stage of any debate. It should not speak or act until a case is forwarded to it. There are a number of procedures related to the preliminary investigation. The fact that the common court is silent on the matter does not mean at all that the case is not being investigated," Archimandrite Savva (Tutunov), deputy head of the Property Management Office of the Moscow Patriarchate, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
Archimandrite Savva recalled that a commission of the Education Committee of the Russian Church has visited the Kazan seminary with regard to the letters received by the patriarchate.
"By the way, they said these letters were received three years ago. It's not true. They were received not long before the commission visited there. As to the work of the commission, many people who are involved in the public debate are citing 'the conclusions drawn by the commission' and 'the commission's decisions.' I doubt very much that any of these people have read the aforementioned conclusions because very few people have access to such documents," Archimandrite Savva said.
As to "the commission's decision," Archimandrite Savva said the commission of the Education Committee has no powers to decide whether a specific person is guilty or not, or make decisions on someone's appointment, dismissal, or suspension from work.
"Decisions on whether a person is guilty or not are made by church law. Decisions relating to hierarchy issues are made by the Holy Synod and archbishops. What has the Education Commission done? It has conducted an investigation, and it was done only in the seminary. These materials will be provided to the relevant authorities. Any serious accusation requires a serious investigation," Archimandrite Savva said.
He also said the work of the church court will be improved, adding that "we are now analyzing experience, facts, and precedents, which may later lead to amendments."
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42