04 February 2014, 16:02
Kazan seminary case is being investigated - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has denied the allegations that the events that have taken place in the Kazan seminary are not being investigated.
Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev, the author of a popular blog, has started a debate on the "gay lobby" in the Russian Church, citing anonymous testimonies on homosexuals among priests and bishops. Specifically, he said students of the Kazan seminary have complained about sexual harassment by one of their mentors, who is a priest.
"Why is someone assuming that this case is not being investigated? A common church court is the last stage of any debate. It should not speak or act until a case is forwarded to it. There are a number of procedures related to the preliminary investigation. The fact that the common court is silent on the matter does not mean at all that the case is not being investigated," Archimandrite Savva (Tutunov), deputy head of the Property Management Office of the Moscow Patriarchate, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
Archimandrite Savva recalled that a commission of the Education Committee of the Russian Church has visited the Kazan seminary with regard to the letters received by the patriarchate.
"By the way, they said these letters were received three years ago. It's not true. They were received not long before the commission visited there. As to the work of the commission, many people who are involved in the public debate are citing 'the conclusions drawn by the commission' and 'the commission's decisions.' I doubt very much that any of these people have read the aforementioned conclusions because very few people have access to such documents," Archimandrite Savva said.
As to "the commission's decision," Archimandrite Savva said the commission of the Education Committee has no powers to decide whether a specific person is guilty or not, or make decisions on someone's appointment, dismissal, or suspension from work.
"Decisions on whether a person is guilty or not are made by church law. Decisions relating to hierarchy issues are made by the Holy Synod and archbishops. What has the Education Commission done? It has conducted an investigation, and it was done only in the seminary. These materials will be provided to the relevant authorities. Any serious accusation requires a serious investigation," Archimandrite Savva said.
He also said the work of the church court will be improved, adding that "we are now analyzing experience, facts, and precedents, which may later lead to amendments."
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04