04 February 2014, 16:02
Kazan seminary case is being investigated - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has denied the allegations that the events that have taken place in the Kazan seminary are not being investigated.
Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev, the author of a popular blog, has started a debate on the "gay lobby" in the Russian Church, citing anonymous testimonies on homosexuals among priests and bishops. Specifically, he said students of the Kazan seminary have complained about sexual harassment by one of their mentors, who is a priest.
"Why is someone assuming that this case is not being investigated? A common church court is the last stage of any debate. It should not speak or act until a case is forwarded to it. There are a number of procedures related to the preliminary investigation. The fact that the common court is silent on the matter does not mean at all that the case is not being investigated," Archimandrite Savva (Tutunov), deputy head of the Property Management Office of the Moscow Patriarchate, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
Archimandrite Savva recalled that a commission of the Education Committee of the Russian Church has visited the Kazan seminary with regard to the letters received by the patriarchate.
"By the way, they said these letters were received three years ago. It's not true. They were received not long before the commission visited there. As to the work of the commission, many people who are involved in the public debate are citing 'the conclusions drawn by the commission' and 'the commission's decisions.' I doubt very much that any of these people have read the aforementioned conclusions because very few people have access to such documents," Archimandrite Savva said.
As to "the commission's decision," Archimandrite Savva said the commission of the Education Committee has no powers to decide whether a specific person is guilty or not, or make decisions on someone's appointment, dismissal, or suspension from work.
"Decisions on whether a person is guilty or not are made by church law. Decisions relating to hierarchy issues are made by the Holy Synod and archbishops. What has the Education Commission done? It has conducted an investigation, and it was done only in the seminary. These materials will be provided to the relevant authorities. Any serious accusation requires a serious investigation," Archimandrite Savva said.
He also said the work of the church court will be improved, adding that "we are now analyzing experience, facts, and precedents, which may later lead to amendments."
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02