04 February 2014, 16:02
Kazan seminary case is being investigated - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has denied the allegations that the events that have taken place in the Kazan seminary are not being investigated.
Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev, the author of a popular blog, has started a debate on the "gay lobby" in the Russian Church, citing anonymous testimonies on homosexuals among priests and bishops. Specifically, he said students of the Kazan seminary have complained about sexual harassment by one of their mentors, who is a priest.
"Why is someone assuming that this case is not being investigated? A common church court is the last stage of any debate. It should not speak or act until a case is forwarded to it. There are a number of procedures related to the preliminary investigation. The fact that the common court is silent on the matter does not mean at all that the case is not being investigated," Archimandrite Savva (Tutunov), deputy head of the Property Management Office of the Moscow Patriarchate, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
Archimandrite Savva recalled that a commission of the Education Committee of the Russian Church has visited the Kazan seminary with regard to the letters received by the patriarchate.
"By the way, they said these letters were received three years ago. It's not true. They were received not long before the commission visited there. As to the work of the commission, many people who are involved in the public debate are citing 'the conclusions drawn by the commission' and 'the commission's decisions.' I doubt very much that any of these people have read the aforementioned conclusions because very few people have access to such documents," Archimandrite Savva said.
As to "the commission's decision," Archimandrite Savva said the commission of the Education Committee has no powers to decide whether a specific person is guilty or not, or make decisions on someone's appointment, dismissal, or suspension from work.
"Decisions on whether a person is guilty or not are made by church law. Decisions relating to hierarchy issues are made by the Holy Synod and archbishops. What has the Education Commission done? It has conducted an investigation, and it was done only in the seminary. These materials will be provided to the relevant authorities. Any serious accusation requires a serious investigation," Archimandrite Savva said.
He also said the work of the church court will be improved, adding that "we are now analyzing experience, facts, and precedents, which may later lead to amendments."
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16