12 February 2014, 10:01
Russian church to be consecrated in Antarctica
Moscow, February 12, Interfax - An expedition is traveling from Moscow to Antarctica with the purpose of the great consecration of the southernmost Russian Orthodox church on Earth.
Shortly before the start Bishop Iakov of Naryan-Mar and Mezensk performed a parting prayer for the expedition members at the Russian Geographical Society's headquarters, the Society's spokesperson told Interfax.
The bishop consecrated the North Pole in 2011, and Northern Sea Route in September 2013. Now the hierarch is to consecrate a church on the sixth continent.
The Holy Trinity Church was built of cedar and larch on King George Island beside the Bellinshausen station on February 15, 2004. This is the only permanently active church in Antarctica.
Employees not only from Russian but also other stations come here, and it is here that the 64 Russian polar experts who died while researching Antarctica are being commemorated.
Photo by Pyotr Zadirov.
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26
- Shaman Gabyshev's supporter detained after he got into Yakutsk mental clinic 22 June 2020, 11:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russian Armed Forces to 'keep their powder dry,' keep unbreakable spirit 22 June 2020, 10:59
- Russia's defense capacity, security solidly ensured - Putin 22 June 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns toppling of statues to American slave holders 22 June 2020, 10:29
- Ukraine investigating case involving fueling of ethnic hatred in creation of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 19 June 2020, 13:28
- Rabbi Lazar does not consider the pandemic God's punishment for human sins 18 June 2020, 17:58
- Vucic asked Russia to support the Serbian Orthodox Church 18 June 2020, 17:30
- Russia's FSB denies taking part in developments in Sredneuralsk monastery 18 June 2020, 12:05
- 'Western values' are unacceptable to Russia - Security Council Secretary Patrushev 17 June 2020, 20:18
- The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church may revise its approach to in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 13:41
- Ingush resident who attacked Moscow policemen was preparing to become suicide bomber - source 16 June 2020, 18:57
- Level of public radicalization declining in Russia - FSB 16 June 2020, 17:03
- Chief rabbi of Russia promises to vaccinate the whole Jewish community against coronavirus 15 June 2020, 21:07
- Russian Jewish community leader criticizes U.S. State Dept for too mild attitude toward Ukrainian govt's anti-Semitic actions 15 June 2020, 19:12
- Putin to visit main church of Russian Armed Forces 15 June 2020, 16:50
- Jewish museum breaks cooperation with those, who placed a xenophobic announcement from its behalf 15 June 2020, 11:46
- Russian Chief Rabbi Lazar being discharged from hospital after recovering from Covid-19 12 June 2020, 18:37
- Arkhangelsk synagogue assailant identified 11 June 2020, 11:39