13 February 2014, 14:36
Russians disapprove of criticism of Russian Orthodox Church - poll
Moscow, February 13, Interfax - Sixty-three percent of Russian citizens recently interviewed by the Public Opinion Foundation (FOM) believe that it is unacceptable to criticize the Russian Orthodox Church.
The public opinion survey, which was conducted in 43 Russian regions on February 1-2 and involved 1,500 people, showed that only 15% of respondents are skeptical towards the Church.
Ten percent of those polled said they had recently come across media reports criticizing the Church, as compared with 19% in 2013.
However, 3% of respondents said that representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church can be criticized for their attempts to accumulate wealth, 2% of those polled mentioned clergymen's inappropriate conduct, and 1% referred to the church's involvement in politics and remarks made by Archpriest Andrey Kurayev. Another 1% of respondents believe that patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia deserves fierce criticism.
A mere 25% of those polled believe that Orthodox believers have a right to criticize the Russian Orthodox Church. Respondents who took this view also noted that every person is allowed to have his own opinion on different issues (5%), and that justified criticism helps improve work (4%). Two percent of respondents said that it is normal for all people to make mistakes, and the church is no exception. Another 3% said that reasons to criticize the Church exist, and 1% of those polled said that people criticize the Church as an institute, not faith or religion.
Among the 36% of respondents who said that Orthodox believers have no right to criticize the Church, 9% said that faith and criticism are incompatible, 7% called negative remarks about the Church sinful, 5% said that it is wrong and illogical to criticize the Church, and another 2% said that critical remarks targeting the Church are unethical and amoral and that the Church does nothing that deserves criticism.
Forty-nine percent of those polled said that clergymen are not allowed to criticize their Church, and 24% took the opposite view.
Forty percent of respondents said that non-believers have no right to criticize the Church, and 33% of those polled expressed the opposite opinion.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55