05 March 2014, 16:04
Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul
Moscow, March 5, Interfax – Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will head to Istanbul on Wednesday, where a meeting of the heads of the Orthodox Churches is opening.
"Despite all wishes for a change of the date of the meeting, which have more than once been stated by the Russian Church, the heads and representatives of local Orthodox Churches will meet in the first week of Lent and is expected to end on Sunday, March 9," Deacon Alexander Volkov, the head of the patriarch's press service, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Patriarch Kirill said he regrets that he cannot "pray with his flock in the coming days of the first week of Lent."
Deacon Volkov also said that Patriarch Kirill will pray for the strengthening of all Russian Christians who have started Lent during his stay in the Constantinople Patriarchate, on the land sanctified by the deeds of ancient ascetic champions.
"The Russian patriarch is also asking everyone to pray that the upcoming meeting serve the unity of the Orthodox Churches and strengthen mutual understanding and brotherly cooperation," Father Alexander said.
The Synodal Department for External Church Relations, for its part, told Interfax-Religion that the meeting will address issues relating to the preparations for the upcoming All-Orthodox Council and the situation of Christians in the Middle East.
The All-Orthodox Council has not convened for more than 1,000 years. Preparations for it have been made for more than fifty years. The agenda and regulations of the Council have not been approved yet.
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates cosmonauts of the International Space Station on Easter 02 May 2016, 16:18
- About 4 million people prayed at night services in Russia - the Ministry of Internal Affairs 01 May 2016, 16:24
- Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians, all Russians on Easter 01 May 2016, 15:56
- Contact group calls for Easter ceasefire to be declared in Donbas - Gryzlov 29 April 2016, 17:03
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Orthodox believers in Krasnodar achieved cancelling the concert of musicians from the USA and Austria 22 April 2016, 11:24
- 3 million Easter cakes to be baked for Easter in Moscow 21 April 2016, 17:21
- WJC president hails Putin's commitment to counter any manifestations of anti-Semitism 21 April 2016, 16:11
- WJC president hopes for resolution of Schneerson library issue through diplomatic channels 21 April 2016, 15:25