04 April 2014, 15:54
Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma
Yaroslavl, April 4, Interfax - The Kostroma Region's court presidium on Friday invalidated the ban of two rallies and a gay march in Kostroma, court press officer Yulia Medvedeva told Interfax.
"The court presidium granted the cassation appeal filed by activist Nikolay Alexeyev and invalidated the cancellation of the events in Kostroma," she said.
In accordance with the decree, the Kostroma region's court presidium has reversed the decisions made by the Kostroma Sverdlovsky District Court and the Kostroma Region's court, which upheld the ban imposed by the city administration on those events.
City officials may file an appeal with the Supreme Court, Medvedeva said.
According to earlier reports, the LGBT community planned to hold two rallies and one march in Kostroma in June 2013 to protest the local law banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors. The Kostroma administration banned the events, saying that their participants intended to promote homosexuality and the police cannot ensure their safety. The authorities also said that the city administration had received letters from city residents who said they did not want the events to take place.
- Illegal sect busted in Uzbekistan 01 August 2014, 13:01
- World on brink of third world war - Russian Church representative 31 July 2014, 15:40
- Islamic Party cell leader convicted in Tajikistan 31 July 2014, 14:48
- Situation with freedom of conscience deteriorates in the USA, the Russian Foreign Ministry official believes 31 July 2014, 13:19
- Russia shouldn't make excuses to the USA for building relations of religion, society and state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 31 July 2014, 10:00
- Moscow City Court finds four members of banned Islamic Liberation Party guilty (updated) 30 July 2014, 15:33
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Strelkov bans to use foul language among his soldiers 30 July 2014, 12:29
- Gorlovka cathedral church becomes bomb shelter 30 July 2014, 10:39
- Most Russian citizens think Russia needs Orthodoxy - poll 29 July 2014, 10:50
- Gorlovka Diocese authority premises come under shelling 29 July 2014, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin's former deputy to become administrator of patriarchal parishes in the USA 28 July 2014, 11:15
- Muslims celebrate end of holy month of Ramadan 28 July 2014, 10:49
- Russian Orthodox Church marks Day of Christianization of Rus 28 July 2014, 10:39
- China to close border with Kyrgyzstan for Eid al-Fitr holiday 25 July 2014, 15:10
- Berel Lazar urges Jews to support Israelis by studying the Torah and multiplying good affairs 25 July 2014, 12:24
- Sounds of explosions accompany church consecration in Donbass 24 July 2014, 16:28
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55