12 May 2014, 10:05
An Orthodox priest killed in Donetsk Region
Moscow, May 12, Interfax - Archpriest Pavel Zhuchenko (Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate) was killed near a block post in the Donetsk Region, local on-line mass media outlets and Orthodox activists have said.
At the same time, mutually exclusive versions of what happened were given.
The priest lived next to the block post, tried to urge opponents of the Kiev authorities to surrender arms and was killed as a result of this, editor-in-chief of the Ostrov (Island) online mass media outlet Sergey Garmash twitted.
Meanwhile, Russian Orthodox activist, head of the Orthodox Action Corporation Kirill Frolov told Interfax-Religion that the Orthodox priest killed guided militia spiritually.
"Archpriest Pavel Zhuchenko, head of the Dimitry Donskoy Cathedral in the village of Druzhkovka, was riding in a car near the Kondratyevsk block post, when he was shot right in the heart," Frolov said.
The priest had three children.
"Monsters shot eight bullets at the priest from automatic firearm," the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office press office said. According to the information of the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office, the crime was committed at a block post at the exit from the town of Druzhkovka on May 8. The law enforcement authorities have started an investigation of the incident.
"Terrorists being coordinated by an outside aggressor" are responsible for the murder, the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office said.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42