02 June 2014, 15:37
Ukrainian Orthodox Church may become separate from Moscow Patriarchate - secretary of head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - The self-defense forces in southeastern Ukraine do not have broad support and are "separatists," Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), secretary of the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"It was generally believed that people in the southeastern regions oppose European integration. However, it became obvious in the past few months that the rumors of 'Soviet mentality' of the southeastern regions are very exaggerated. No matter how much the outside forces want it, it is virtually impossible to divide Ukraine because the separatists are actively supported by a minority even in Donetsk and Lugansk," the metropolitan said in his video blog.
He said the "Orthodox Militia of Donbass" has "nothing in common" with the Orthodox faith.
The metropolitan also believes that in this new historical situation the Church should give up "the utopia of Orthodox civilization" and stop thinking of itself as "part of the state body."
He also recalled that the church canons do not envision a one-time and mechanical change of its canonical status due to changes of the state border.
At the same time, the metropolitan said the history of Orthodox faith indicates that "the creation of politically and culturally complete statehood, as a rule, leads to for the formation on its territory of a canonically self-sufficient church structure."
"The recent events show that most citizens of Ukraine think of themselves as part of Europe and want to live in an independent state. These processes began earlier and are intensive in Western and Central Ukraine," the metropolitan said.
He also sharply criticized Viktor Yanukovych, who was previously considered the main political ally of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for allegedly issuing the order to open fire on protesters in Kiev and "thinking of himself of something like an 'Orthodox emperor.'"
Metropolitan also criticized those who are trying to use the Church to achieve political ends, saying the Church is allowed to engage in politics "when the purpose of politics is to protect moral values," "restore the Holy Rus," or create a new, post-Byzantine "Orthodox civilization."
The debate on the future of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the possibility of it becoming independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, and creation in Ukraine of a unified local Church, including Churches that are now not recognized by the canonical Orthodox Churches, including the "Kiev Patriarchate", has intensified in Ukraine in the light of the events that occurred in the country in the past few months.
Some experts believe granting the Ukrainian Orthodox Church independence from the Moscow Patriarchate may weaken the influence of the Moscow Patriarchate in the world, bearing in mind that many parishes of Moscow Patriarchate are located on the territory of Ukraine.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58