02 June 2014, 15:37
Ukrainian Orthodox Church may become separate from Moscow Patriarchate - secretary of head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - The self-defense forces in southeastern Ukraine do not have broad support and are "separatists," Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), secretary of the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"It was generally believed that people in the southeastern regions oppose European integration. However, it became obvious in the past few months that the rumors of 'Soviet mentality' of the southeastern regions are very exaggerated. No matter how much the outside forces want it, it is virtually impossible to divide Ukraine because the separatists are actively supported by a minority even in Donetsk and Lugansk," the metropolitan said in his video blog.
He said the "Orthodox Militia of Donbass" has "nothing in common" with the Orthodox faith.
The metropolitan also believes that in this new historical situation the Church should give up "the utopia of Orthodox civilization" and stop thinking of itself as "part of the state body."
He also recalled that the church canons do not envision a one-time and mechanical change of its canonical status due to changes of the state border.
At the same time, the metropolitan said the history of Orthodox faith indicates that "the creation of politically and culturally complete statehood, as a rule, leads to for the formation on its territory of a canonically self-sufficient church structure."
"The recent events show that most citizens of Ukraine think of themselves as part of Europe and want to live in an independent state. These processes began earlier and are intensive in Western and Central Ukraine," the metropolitan said.
He also sharply criticized Viktor Yanukovych, who was previously considered the main political ally of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for allegedly issuing the order to open fire on protesters in Kiev and "thinking of himself of something like an 'Orthodox emperor.'"
Metropolitan also criticized those who are trying to use the Church to achieve political ends, saying the Church is allowed to engage in politics "when the purpose of politics is to protect moral values," "restore the Holy Rus," or create a new, post-Byzantine "Orthodox civilization."
The debate on the future of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the possibility of it becoming independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, and creation in Ukraine of a unified local Church, including Churches that are now not recognized by the canonical Orthodox Churches, including the "Kiev Patriarchate", has intensified in Ukraine in the light of the events that occurred in the country in the past few months.
Some experts believe granting the Ukrainian Orthodox Church independence from the Moscow Patriarchate may weaken the influence of the Moscow Patriarchate in the world, bearing in mind that many parishes of Moscow Patriarchate are located on the territory of Ukraine.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28