02 June 2014, 15:37
Ukrainian Orthodox Church may become separate from Moscow Patriarchate - secretary of head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - The self-defense forces in southeastern Ukraine do not have broad support and are "separatists," Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), secretary of the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"It was generally believed that people in the southeastern regions oppose European integration. However, it became obvious in the past few months that the rumors of 'Soviet mentality' of the southeastern regions are very exaggerated. No matter how much the outside forces want it, it is virtually impossible to divide Ukraine because the separatists are actively supported by a minority even in Donetsk and Lugansk," the metropolitan said in his video blog.
He said the "Orthodox Militia of Donbass" has "nothing in common" with the Orthodox faith.
The metropolitan also believes that in this new historical situation the Church should give up "the utopia of Orthodox civilization" and stop thinking of itself as "part of the state body."
He also recalled that the church canons do not envision a one-time and mechanical change of its canonical status due to changes of the state border.
At the same time, the metropolitan said the history of Orthodox faith indicates that "the creation of politically and culturally complete statehood, as a rule, leads to for the formation on its territory of a canonically self-sufficient church structure."
"The recent events show that most citizens of Ukraine think of themselves as part of Europe and want to live in an independent state. These processes began earlier and are intensive in Western and Central Ukraine," the metropolitan said.
He also sharply criticized Viktor Yanukovych, who was previously considered the main political ally of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for allegedly issuing the order to open fire on protesters in Kiev and "thinking of himself of something like an 'Orthodox emperor.'"
Metropolitan also criticized those who are trying to use the Church to achieve political ends, saying the Church is allowed to engage in politics "when the purpose of politics is to protect moral values," "restore the Holy Rus," or create a new, post-Byzantine "Orthodox civilization."
The debate on the future of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the possibility of it becoming independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, and creation in Ukraine of a unified local Church, including Churches that are now not recognized by the canonical Orthodox Churches, including the "Kiev Patriarchate", has intensified in Ukraine in the light of the events that occurred in the country in the past few months.
Some experts believe granting the Ukrainian Orthodox Church independence from the Moscow Patriarchate may weaken the influence of the Moscow Patriarchate in the world, bearing in mind that many parishes of Moscow Patriarchate are located on the territory of Ukraine.
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about Donbass blockade, attempts to take over churches in other regions of Ukraine 03 December 2014, 18:12
- Yeshivah student badly beaten in Moscow Region 03 December 2014, 14:45
- Russian parish in Strasbourg lacks money to continue building the church 03 December 2014, 10:04