03 June 2014, 15:11
Over 60 churches destroyed in Syria, thousands of Christians become refugees - Russian MP
Moscow, June 3, Interfax - More than 60 churches and monasteries have been completely destroyed in Syria by militants since the armed conflict broke out in that country, Russian MP and coordinator of the inter-faction group for the protection of Christian valuables Sergey Gavrilov has said.
Gavrilov and other Russian parliamentarians and Central Election Commission members have arrived in Syria to monitor its presidential elections.
Gavrilov told Interfax-Religion over the phone that more than 70,000 Christians in the city of Homs and over half of Aleppo's Christian population had been forced to flee their homes because of the hostilities there.
At their meetings with Syrian officials, the Russian electoral observers noted that in Syria, which had always served as an example of good neighborly relations between different faiths, Christians were now facing "the threat of complete elimination".
"A crucial task for us is to formulate viable mechanisms to support Christians and resist their persecution," Gavrilov said.
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26
- Shaman Gabyshev's supporter detained after he got into Yakutsk mental clinic 22 June 2020, 11:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russian Armed Forces to 'keep their powder dry,' keep unbreakable spirit 22 June 2020, 10:59
- Russia's defense capacity, security solidly ensured - Putin 22 June 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns toppling of statues to American slave holders 22 June 2020, 10:29
- Ukraine investigating case involving fueling of ethnic hatred in creation of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 19 June 2020, 13:28
- Rabbi Lazar does not consider the pandemic God's punishment for human sins 18 June 2020, 17:58
- Vucic asked Russia to support the Serbian Orthodox Church 18 June 2020, 17:30
- Russia's FSB denies taking part in developments in Sredneuralsk monastery 18 June 2020, 12:05
- 'Western values' are unacceptable to Russia - Security Council Secretary Patrushev 17 June 2020, 20:18
- The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church may revise its approach to in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 13:41
- Ingush resident who attacked Moscow policemen was preparing to become suicide bomber - source 16 June 2020, 18:57
- Level of public radicalization declining in Russia - FSB 16 June 2020, 17:03
- Chief rabbi of Russia promises to vaccinate the whole Jewish community against coronavirus 15 June 2020, 21:07
- Russian Jewish community leader criticizes U.S. State Dept for too mild attitude toward Ukrainian govt's anti-Semitic actions 15 June 2020, 19:12
- Putin to visit main church of Russian Armed Forces 15 June 2020, 16:50
- Jewish museum breaks cooperation with those, who placed a xenophobic announcement from its behalf 15 June 2020, 11:46
- Russian Chief Rabbi Lazar being discharged from hospital after recovering from Covid-19 12 June 2020, 18:37
- Arkhangelsk synagogue assailant identified 11 June 2020, 11:39