27 June 2014, 13:14
Locum Tenens of the Kiev Metropolitan See asks Poroshenko to prevent capturing churches and monasteries
Moscow, June 27, Interfax - Locum Tenens of the Kiev Metropolitan See Metropolitan Onufry of Chernovtsy and Bukovina asks Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko to protect the Church from attacks.
"We turn to you with the request to interfere personally and use all measures to prevent attacks and captures of churches and monasteries of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," the metropolitan said in his address cited by the press service of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
He noted that churches in Kiev and other regions of Ukraine had recently been set on fire, acts of vandalism had been committed and there were attempts to capture churches and other premises belonging to the UOC. He is especially concerned with the fact that a great number of aggressive and armed people have gathered on June 22 near the Kiev Laura of the Caves.
"It looked as an attempt to capture the Laura. By God's mercy and thanks to professional actions of the law enforcement agencies the situation was settled. However, the events could have developed differently and it could result in human victims and growing split of the society," the address reads.
Metropolitan Onufry is also outraged that the mass media have recently repeated messages, which "significantly pervert" the position of the Church on Ukraine.
"Coverage of the events around the Kiev Laura of the Caves was not an exception. We consider it as attempts to artificially oppose the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to the society. Such actions threaten to violate inter-religious peace and social stability," he summed up.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10