03 July 2014, 10:01
Church denies that Patriarch Kirill going to visit Ukraine
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has denied an allegation that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is going to visit Ukraine, and branded it is as a "provocation."
"The Ukrainian Orthodox Church assesses this untrue information as a deliberate provocation on the part of the leadership of the UOC-KP [Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate]," the UOC said in a statement.
It was untrue information that the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church planned to invite the patriarch to celebrations of the Day of the Baptism of Russia, which would allegedly have led to protests in Ukrainian society, because of which the visit would have had to be moved to Khersones in Crimea, where senior bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church would have held an assembly and elected a new leader of the UOC, the statement said.
"We regret that state officials such as Vladimir Yushkevich, director of the Department for Religious and Ethnic Affairs of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, base their public statements on such unverified and openly provocative information," it said.
Yushkevich had said the patriarchal visit that was allegedly planned might "set off a wave of interdenominational strife."
"We believe that such statements bring tension both into public life and into denominational relations, and are assessed as interference in the internal affairs of the Church, something that is unacceptable conduct on the part of officials," the Church said.
"The official website of the UOC-KP is becoming a place for the publication of rumors, gossip, and unverified and provocative information that aims to bring artificial hostility and a schism into the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," it said.
"We believe that the information policy of the UOC-KP Press Center is by no means conducive to conciliation and dialogue, something that the UOC-KP is calling for so actively, and that de facto it is conductive to the opposite. One has the impression that one of the main objectives of the existence of that denomination is indiscriminate criticism of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and everybody and everything connected with it," the Church said.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48