15 July 2014, 09:51
Ukrainian Church repeats Moscow patriarch will not attend Christianization of Russia events
Kiev, July 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has reiterated that Patriarch Kirill is not planned to take part in celebrations in Ukraine of this year's anniversary of the Christianization of Russia.
"No visits of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to Kiev or any other diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, including Crimea, are planned for the period of celebration of the Day of Baptism of Kievan Russia and for the dates of the assembly of bishops," the Church said in a statement.
Citing the Moscow Patriarchate, the statement said that Patriarch Kirill would lead a worship service at Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior on the anniversary day, July 28.
"Solely ruling and vicar bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will participate in the assembly of bishops on August 13," the Church said. The assembly is to elect the new primate of the Ukrainian Church - the metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine.
"There are no plans to invite representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate or any other local Orthodox Church to the assembly of bishops," the statement said.
Until now Patriarch Kirill has yearly taken part in Christianization anniversary festivities in Kiev.
Early this month, the Ukrainian Church denied allegations in the media that it had planned to invite the patriarch to the festivities in Kiev but feared protests from part of Ukrainian society and decided instead to host him in Khersones in southern Ukraine, where the bishops' assembly would also be held and elect the new metropolitan "under pressure from the Kremlin."
In reacting to rumors, the director of Religious and Ethnic Affairs Department of the Ukrainian Culture Ministry, Vladimir Yushkevich, said last month that Ukraine would take every legal measures to prevent a patriarchal visit because the latter "would achieve nothing else than a wave of confrontation between religious communities.
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02