15 July 2014, 09:51
Ukrainian Church repeats Moscow patriarch will not attend Christianization of Russia events
Kiev, July 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has reiterated that Patriarch Kirill is not planned to take part in celebrations in Ukraine of this year's anniversary of the Christianization of Russia.
"No visits of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to Kiev or any other diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, including Crimea, are planned for the period of celebration of the Day of Baptism of Kievan Russia and for the dates of the assembly of bishops," the Church said in a statement.
Citing the Moscow Patriarchate, the statement said that Patriarch Kirill would lead a worship service at Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior on the anniversary day, July 28.
"Solely ruling and vicar bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will participate in the assembly of bishops on August 13," the Church said. The assembly is to elect the new primate of the Ukrainian Church - the metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine.
"There are no plans to invite representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate or any other local Orthodox Church to the assembly of bishops," the statement said.
Until now Patriarch Kirill has yearly taken part in Christianization anniversary festivities in Kiev.
Early this month, the Ukrainian Church denied allegations in the media that it had planned to invite the patriarch to the festivities in Kiev but feared protests from part of Ukrainian society and decided instead to host him in Khersones in southern Ukraine, where the bishops' assembly would also be held and elect the new metropolitan "under pressure from the Kremlin."
In reacting to rumors, the director of Religious and Ethnic Affairs Department of the Ukrainian Culture Ministry, Vladimir Yushkevich, said last month that Ukraine would take every legal measures to prevent a patriarchal visit because the latter "would achieve nothing else than a wave of confrontation between religious communities.
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05