04 August 2014, 17:05
Russian Church hopes Ukrainian schismatics will return to its jurisdiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate official does not leave hope that people, who appear to be members of schismatic structures will reunite with the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Reunion of all Orthodox believers under jurisdiction of the one canonical Church is desirable," he said in his interview with the Kommersant daily.
The hierarch stressed that reunion can not be a mechanical blending of church members and schismatics to one structure.
"Return from the schism is always a process that demands repentance and is not mechanical and artificial reunion of some parts, but it is a return to the Church of those members who left it," he said.
Answering the question why after reunion of Crimea and Russia, the Crimean Diocese did not join the Russian Church, staying under jurisdiction of the UOC, the metropolitan said that Crimea has always been a part of canonical territory of the one multinational Russian Church.
"It has happened historically that political borders changed more often than church ones. Change of political borders doesn't mean that we should immediately change church borders. We are sometimes told that if new states have appeared in the territory of the former Soviet Union than new Churches should appear there. It is the logic of those who demand separation of the Ukrainian Church from the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
According to the metropolitan, if we follow this logic there should appear 13 new Autocephalous Churches in the territory of the former USSR, and the Alexandrian Patriarchate should be divided in 54 Churches in every African country each.
"It has never been a tradition of the Orthodox Church. Borders that exist in the Orthodox world have existed for centuries. It doesn't mean that they had never been revised. But revision of church borders doesn't necessarily followed the revision of civil borders," he said.
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01