04 August 2014, 17:05
Russian Church hopes Ukrainian schismatics will return to its jurisdiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate official does not leave hope that people, who appear to be members of schismatic structures will reunite with the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Reunion of all Orthodox believers under jurisdiction of the one canonical Church is desirable," he said in his interview with the Kommersant daily.
The hierarch stressed that reunion can not be a mechanical blending of church members and schismatics to one structure.
"Return from the schism is always a process that demands repentance and is not mechanical and artificial reunion of some parts, but it is a return to the Church of those members who left it," he said.
Answering the question why after reunion of Crimea and Russia, the Crimean Diocese did not join the Russian Church, staying under jurisdiction of the UOC, the metropolitan said that Crimea has always been a part of canonical territory of the one multinational Russian Church.
"It has happened historically that political borders changed more often than church ones. Change of political borders doesn't mean that we should immediately change church borders. We are sometimes told that if new states have appeared in the territory of the former Soviet Union than new Churches should appear there. It is the logic of those who demand separation of the Ukrainian Church from the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
According to the metropolitan, if we follow this logic there should appear 13 new Autocephalous Churches in the territory of the former USSR, and the Alexandrian Patriarchate should be divided in 54 Churches in every African country each.
"It has never been a tradition of the Orthodox Church. Borders that exist in the Orthodox world have existed for centuries. It doesn't mean that they had never been revised. But revision of church borders doesn't necessarily followed the revision of civil borders," he said.
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02
- Three extremists spreading radical Islam ideas convicted in Uzbekistan 09 June 2017, 10:17
- Expert on Orthodox shrines compared contemporary Russia to Medieval Europe 09 June 2017, 10:14
- Some 500,000 pilgrims bow to St. Nicholas remains as 3 km line forms outside the Moscow cathedral 08 June 2017, 19:10
- St. Petersburg Church of Scientology founders arrested 08 June 2017, 18:57
- Russian Orthodox Church's relations with Catholics intensify after meeting with Pope - Patriarch Kirill 08 June 2017, 18:54