04 August 2014, 17:05
Russian Church hopes Ukrainian schismatics will return to its jurisdiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate official does not leave hope that people, who appear to be members of schismatic structures will reunite with the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Reunion of all Orthodox believers under jurisdiction of the one canonical Church is desirable," he said in his interview with the Kommersant daily.
The hierarch stressed that reunion can not be a mechanical blending of church members and schismatics to one structure.
"Return from the schism is always a process that demands repentance and is not mechanical and artificial reunion of some parts, but it is a return to the Church of those members who left it," he said.
Answering the question why after reunion of Crimea and Russia, the Crimean Diocese did not join the Russian Church, staying under jurisdiction of the UOC, the metropolitan said that Crimea has always been a part of canonical territory of the one multinational Russian Church.
"It has happened historically that political borders changed more often than church ones. Change of political borders doesn't mean that we should immediately change church borders. We are sometimes told that if new states have appeared in the territory of the former Soviet Union than new Churches should appear there. It is the logic of those who demand separation of the Ukrainian Church from the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
According to the metropolitan, if we follow this logic there should appear 13 new Autocephalous Churches in the territory of the former USSR, and the Alexandrian Patriarchate should be divided in 54 Churches in every African country each.
"It has never been a tradition of the Orthodox Church. Borders that exist in the Orthodox world have existed for centuries. It doesn't mean that they had never been revised. But revision of church borders doesn't necessarily followed the revision of civil borders," he said.
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08