04 August 2014, 17:05
Russian Church hopes Ukrainian schismatics will return to its jurisdiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate official does not leave hope that people, who appear to be members of schismatic structures will reunite with the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Reunion of all Orthodox believers under jurisdiction of the one canonical Church is desirable," he said in his interview with the Kommersant daily.
The hierarch stressed that reunion can not be a mechanical blending of church members and schismatics to one structure.
"Return from the schism is always a process that demands repentance and is not mechanical and artificial reunion of some parts, but it is a return to the Church of those members who left it," he said.
Answering the question why after reunion of Crimea and Russia, the Crimean Diocese did not join the Russian Church, staying under jurisdiction of the UOC, the metropolitan said that Crimea has always been a part of canonical territory of the one multinational Russian Church.
"It has happened historically that political borders changed more often than church ones. Change of political borders doesn't mean that we should immediately change church borders. We are sometimes told that if new states have appeared in the territory of the former Soviet Union than new Churches should appear there. It is the logic of those who demand separation of the Ukrainian Church from the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
According to the metropolitan, if we follow this logic there should appear 13 new Autocephalous Churches in the territory of the former USSR, and the Alexandrian Patriarchate should be divided in 54 Churches in every African country each.
"It has never been a tradition of the Orthodox Church. Borders that exist in the Orthodox world have existed for centuries. It doesn't mean that they had never been revised. But revision of church borders doesn't necessarily followed the revision of civil borders," he said.
- Supreme mufti of Syria thanks Russia for opposing "snobby West" 31 October 2014, 10:45
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57