17 November 2014, 10:02
Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president
Belgrade, November 17, Interfax - Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic sees support in Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church.
"We are connected by faith and blood. We are now going through difficult times, when Christianity faces big challenges. The Serbian Orthodox Church has a lot of support in the Russian Orthodox Church, and Serbia has a lot of support in the Russian Federation," Nikolic said during a meeting with Russian Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Belgrade.
Nikolic thanked the patriarch for his decision to sacrifice funding for the completion of the work on the mosaic in the Cathedral of St. Sava in Belgrade, adding that "it shows how closely Serbia is connected to Russia."
Nikolic also said friendship should not be measured in terms of trade turnover.
"Russia could look down on Serbia. Russia could just say: we sell you gas worth 100 million and that's our friendship. But Russia and Serbia will never do that," he said.
"We, Slavs, sometimes fail to find a common language, and sometimes it seems to us that we have better friends somewhere on the side. However, as we say, travel, but always return home. Russia and Serbia always return to each other, and that's due to our Churches," Nikolic said.
Nikolic said Russia has suffered for Serbia.
"Our people need to be told that from time to time because the Russian tsar risked all his state and all his people, he joined in WWI, and then evil people used that moment to fully destroy the Romanov family," Nikolic said the Serbs, like the Russians, fought against fascists in WWII, "but Serbia did not have the weapons that the Red Army had."
"So whenever we don't have something or we don't have enough of something, we will turn to Russia, and we will not be ashamed because we believe we are asking our relatives and in the family everyone should help each other," the Serbian president said.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08