17 November 2014, 10:15
Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR
Belgrade, November 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has cautioned against attempts to manipulate historical facts.
"History cannot be rewritten, although some people try to do that in Serbia, on the territory of the former Yugoslavia, and on the territory of the former Soviet Union. Sometimes they use such rewritten textbooks to teach children, thinking that a new generation will appear and it will forget about history," the patriarch said during a meeting with Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic in Belgrade.
The patriarch reiterated that "it's a big mistake: facts can't be erased from people's memory, no matter how hard they try to rewrite history."
The patriarch also said Russia and Serbia are connected with "history, faith and blood."
"There were heroic pages of our joint history and there were tragic pages, but there have never been any conflicts between Serbia and Russia. We have either won and rejoiced, or suffered together," he said.
The patriarch said these events involve the liberation of the Balkans from the Ottoman oppression, "WWI, and the exodus of Russians, including to Serbia, where they found their second homeland, and the fight against fascism, and the liberation of Belgrade."
"There was a lot of bloodshed and sorrows, but the feeling of brotherhood has never failed in the relations between Russia and Serbia. In contemporary history, our heart went out to the people of Serbia when your country was bombed by NATO and we now have compassion to the Serbian people in Kosovo and Metohija, and we help them all we can," the patriarch said.
Having pointed out the good brotherly relations between the Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches, Patriarch Kirill said he is convinced that they should "keep the spiritual and cultural foundation of the people, and the authorities, both in Russia and Serbia, should build their polices in such a way as not to destroy this foundation."
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08