17 November 2014, 10:15
Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR
Belgrade, November 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has cautioned against attempts to manipulate historical facts.
"History cannot be rewritten, although some people try to do that in Serbia, on the territory of the former Yugoslavia, and on the territory of the former Soviet Union. Sometimes they use such rewritten textbooks to teach children, thinking that a new generation will appear and it will forget about history," the patriarch said during a meeting with Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic in Belgrade.
The patriarch reiterated that "it's a big mistake: facts can't be erased from people's memory, no matter how hard they try to rewrite history."
The patriarch also said Russia and Serbia are connected with "history, faith and blood."
"There were heroic pages of our joint history and there were tragic pages, but there have never been any conflicts between Serbia and Russia. We have either won and rejoiced, or suffered together," he said.
The patriarch said these events involve the liberation of the Balkans from the Ottoman oppression, "WWI, and the exodus of Russians, including to Serbia, where they found their second homeland, and the fight against fascism, and the liberation of Belgrade."
"There was a lot of bloodshed and sorrows, but the feeling of brotherhood has never failed in the relations between Russia and Serbia. In contemporary history, our heart went out to the people of Serbia when your country was bombed by NATO and we now have compassion to the Serbian people in Kosovo and Metohija, and we help them all we can," the patriarch said.
Having pointed out the good brotherly relations between the Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches, Patriarch Kirill said he is convinced that they should "keep the spiritual and cultural foundation of the people, and the authorities, both in Russia and Serbia, should build their polices in such a way as not to destroy this foundation."
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23