17 November 2014, 10:17
Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo
Belgrade, November 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken in support of the Serbian population of Kosovo and Metohija.
"Serbs should live freely in Kosovo and Metohija. No one should threaten Serbs, no one has the right to destroy their monuments, their churches and monasteries. No one can create problems with their travels or prevent them from maintaining constant contact with their relatives," the patriarch told reporters after meeting with Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic in Belgrade.
Kosovo and Metohija are the spiritual center of the people of Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox Church, and "that says a lot," Patriarch Kirill said.
"We insist on what we have always insisted: we support the people of Serbia in their understanding of the problem of Kosovo and its historical significance and the way such issues should be resolved politically. They should be resolved in such a way that fundamental human rights and freedoms should not be violated. We are primarily concerned about the rights and freedoms of the Serbian population of Kosovo," Patriarch Kirill said.
The patriarch said the Russian Church is trying to help the Serbian population in Kosovo and Metohija and is raising money to support them.
In May-June 2014, the Russian Church provided assistance to Serbia, which had been hit by heavy rainfall, by transferring 27 million rubles raised in the dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate to the account of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
In 2012, Patriarch Kirill blessed fundraiser for monasteries in Kosovo and Metohija. The Sretensky Monastery choir gave two charity concerts and transferred 200,000 euro to Bishop of Prizren Feodosy.
In July 2013, an extra 50,000 euro was transferred to the account of the Prizren Spiritual Seminary. The 145,000 euro raised by the Russian Church monasteries were sent to Serbia in a separate tranche.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23