17 November 2014, 10:55
Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade
Belgrade, November 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Irinej of Serbia sanctified a monument to the last Russian tsar, Nicholas II, in the center of Belgrade on Sunday.
Local residents welcomed the Russian and Serbian patriarchs, as well as Serb President Tomislav Nikolic, Russian Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky and Federation Council Deputy Speaker Alexander Torshin, who attended the ceremony.
"The role that Tsar Nichols II played in saving Serbia and Europe as a whole is too great to describe it in just a couple of words. He sacrificed his crown, his reign and his life to save Serbia and to save Europe," the Russian patriarch said.
It is noteworthy that the first monument to Nicholas II to have been built in Europe is in Belgrade, he said.
"Nicholas II was remembered by the people of Serbia even when his name could not be said out loud in Russia. What was being said about him was nasty, or nothing was said about him at all," Patriarch Kirill said.
However, the truth about the Russian tsar's feat "sprouted trough the iron-and-concrete slab, placed on him and on Russia," he said. The historical truth must never be forgotten either in Serbia, or in Russia, for it will sprout through like grass sprouts through asphalt, the Russian patriarch said.
The monument was set up in the center of Belgrade on September 13 2014, in a park on King Milan Street, where the Russian embassy was located in the early 20th century. The statue was created by Russian sculptors Andrey Kovalchuk and Gennady Pravotorov.
It is Russia's gift to Belgrade, while the ceremony was part of a program to mark the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I. The park surrounding the monument is being landscaped into one of the city's most beautiful places.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14