10 February 2015, 14:41
Putin meets with Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa
Cairo, February 10, Interfax - During his official visit to Egypt on Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria and All Africa, with whom he discussed the situation in the region and bilateral relations.
The president said he is hoping for successful cooperation with the Christians of Egypt in the fight for common moral values and ideals.
Putin said Russia has a centuries-old tradition of special relations between people of different religions on the basis of mutual respect.
"I know that the current administration of Egypt now occupies the same position. I hope that by acting together in this way and by promoting this approach in the relations between people and representatives of different religions we will work together to fight for our common moral values and ideals," the Russian president said.
Putin said he had discussed this issue and other issues in his meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Patriarch Theodoros II, for his part, said he is doing everything to ensure that the Christians and Muslims of Egypt live in peace, adding that the president of Egypt is doing the same. "I am confident that progress will be achieved," he said. The patriarch, who is Greek, thanked Putin for the development of Russian-Greek relations.
"Alexis Tsipras, new prime minister of Greece, loves you," Theodoros II said.
The patriarch also said he has warm memories about the years he spent in the Soviet Union. "may God give you health and happiness, health, a long life," the patriarch told Putin in Russian.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42