02 March 2015, 17:13
Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy
Moscow, March 2, Interfax - A group of nationalists started problems on the grounds of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration belonging to Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) in the Ukrainian town of Sumy.
The incident occurred last Sunday, the day of the Triumph of Orthodoxy. During the church service, a representative of the Freedom movement, who was holding a placard with offensive content, "first started an argument and then assaulted the church's security guard and caused him bodily injuries," a UOC spokesperson said.
A group of approximately 20 people in masks and camouflage bearing the emblems of the Right Sector, an extremist organization banned in Russia, gathered outside the church.
They blocked the entrance, threatening the ruling archpriest, the clergy and the flock.
When Archbishop Yevlogy of Sumy and Akhtyrka, having finished the prayer service, went on the stairs of the cathedral "the masked young men tried to approach him, shouting various dirty profane words and threats of physical extermination," the spokesperson said.
"Some of the assailants seemed to be intoxicated, judging by their odd behavior. The crowd of assailants was pushed away from the archpriest," the UOC spokesperson said.
A few hours later several assailants came back to the cathedral, demanding an urgent meeting with the archpriest. They started arguing with him and demanded that he open the door of the diocese administration.
Archbishop Yevlogy is going to ask Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko to protect Orthodox believers.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55