13 March 2015, 18:44
Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow
Moscow, March 13, Interfax - Mufti of Moscow, the Central Region and Chuvashia, member of the Russian Public Chamber Albir Krganov criticizes staging of Richard Wagner's Tannhauser in the Novosibirsk Opera Theatre.
"Islam position in connection with this performance and the same provocations are simple - it is inacceptable," the mufti says in his statement cited by his press service.
He points out that everything connected with Prophet Isa (Jesus) and his mother Mariam (The Holy Virgin) are holy for Muslims. Names Isa and Mariam are wide spread among Muslims.
"Today, during very special for Christians time of the Great Lent, liberal public tries to destabilize the situation, desecrating Christian symbols under the pretence of the performance based on Wagner's opera Tannnhauser. Muslims are against discreditation of religious symbols and values of the believers, and there's no difference against which confession this action is directed," the statement reads.
Krganov stressed that Muslims are equally touched by inacceptable actions against Prophet Mohammed, Jesus, Moses and other prophets.
The Novosibirsk prosecutor's office earlier brought administrative charges of public desecration and damage of religious and church literature, holy relics, symbols and attributes against Kulyabin, who staged Wagner's Tannhauser in a present-day setting. An administrative case has also been started against Novosibirsk Opera House Director Boris Mezdrich.
Both cases were initiated by Metropolitan Tikhon of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, who claimed that church symbols had been profaned.
Kulyabin's adaptation of Tannhauser premiered in December 2014. In it, the minnesinger Tannhauser was portrayed as a film director who made The Venus Grotto film. The leading part was performed by Stieg Andersen, a soloist at the Royal Theater in Copenhagen. The musical performance was directed by the Latvian conductor Ainars Rubikis.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54