13 March 2015, 18:44
Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow
Moscow, March 13, Interfax - Mufti of Moscow, the Central Region and Chuvashia, member of the Russian Public Chamber Albir Krganov criticizes staging of Richard Wagner's Tannhauser in the Novosibirsk Opera Theatre.
"Islam position in connection with this performance and the same provocations are simple - it is inacceptable," the mufti says in his statement cited by his press service.
He points out that everything connected with Prophet Isa (Jesus) and his mother Mariam (The Holy Virgin) are holy for Muslims. Names Isa and Mariam are wide spread among Muslims.
"Today, during very special for Christians time of the Great Lent, liberal public tries to destabilize the situation, desecrating Christian symbols under the pretence of the performance based on Wagner's opera Tannnhauser. Muslims are against discreditation of religious symbols and values of the believers, and there's no difference against which confession this action is directed," the statement reads.
Krganov stressed that Muslims are equally touched by inacceptable actions against Prophet Mohammed, Jesus, Moses and other prophets.
The Novosibirsk prosecutor's office earlier brought administrative charges of public desecration and damage of religious and church literature, holy relics, symbols and attributes against Kulyabin, who staged Wagner's Tannhauser in a present-day setting. An administrative case has also been started against Novosibirsk Opera House Director Boris Mezdrich.
Both cases were initiated by Metropolitan Tikhon of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, who claimed that church symbols had been profaned.
Kulyabin's adaptation of Tannhauser premiered in December 2014. In it, the minnesinger Tannhauser was portrayed as a film director who made The Venus Grotto film. The leading part was performed by Stieg Andersen, a soloist at the Royal Theater in Copenhagen. The musical performance was directed by the Latvian conductor Ainars Rubikis.
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51