16 March 2015, 14:57
Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings
Moscow, March 16, Interfax - The Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia in connection with Tannhauser performed in Novosibirsk urges artists to abstain from experiments with religious symbols.
"We urge all cultural workers be careful about interpretation of classic works of art and not to sink down to distorting historical authenticity when describing life and actions of most honored personalities of the world religions," the muftiate says in its statement posted by the organization's website.
"We believe it inacceptable that someone's ambitions and falsely interpreted freedom of views make God's messengers an object of blasphemous insults and desecrations through satirical caricatures or extremely subjective and superficial interpretations," the Muslim Board stressed.
The authors regret that some representatives of home culture "wishing to gain media popularity use inacceptable artistic experiments under pretence of making world famous authors more contemporary."
"Radically altering spiritual foundations, which have imperishable meaning for many generations, so that they meet their creative vision, they violently trample on the feelings of the believers," the statement reads.
The Novosibirsk prosecutor's office earlier brought administrative charges of public desecration and damage of religious and church literature, holy relics, symbols and attributes against Kulyabin, who staged Wagner's Tannhauser in a present-day setting. An administrative case has also been started against Novosibirsk Opera House Director Boris Mezdrich.
Both cases were initiated by Metropolitan Tikhon of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, who claimed that church symbols had been profaned.
Kulyabin's adaptation of Tannhauser premiered in December 2014. In it, the minnesinger Tannhauser was portrayed as a film director who made The Venus Grotto film. The leading part was performed by Stieg Andersen, a soloist at the Royal Theater in Copenhagen. The musical performance was directed by the Latvian conductor Ainars Rubikis.
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04