16 March 2015, 14:57
Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings
Moscow, March 16, Interfax - The Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia in connection with Tannhauser performed in Novosibirsk urges artists to abstain from experiments with religious symbols.
"We urge all cultural workers be careful about interpretation of classic works of art and not to sink down to distorting historical authenticity when describing life and actions of most honored personalities of the world religions," the muftiate says in its statement posted by the organization's website.
"We believe it inacceptable that someone's ambitions and falsely interpreted freedom of views make God's messengers an object of blasphemous insults and desecrations through satirical caricatures or extremely subjective and superficial interpretations," the Muslim Board stressed.
The authors regret that some representatives of home culture "wishing to gain media popularity use inacceptable artistic experiments under pretence of making world famous authors more contemporary."
"Radically altering spiritual foundations, which have imperishable meaning for many generations, so that they meet their creative vision, they violently trample on the feelings of the believers," the statement reads.
The Novosibirsk prosecutor's office earlier brought administrative charges of public desecration and damage of religious and church literature, holy relics, symbols and attributes against Kulyabin, who staged Wagner's Tannhauser in a present-day setting. An administrative case has also been started against Novosibirsk Opera House Director Boris Mezdrich.
Both cases were initiated by Metropolitan Tikhon of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, who claimed that church symbols had been profaned.
Kulyabin's adaptation of Tannhauser premiered in December 2014. In it, the minnesinger Tannhauser was portrayed as a film director who made The Venus Grotto film. The leading part was performed by Stieg Andersen, a soloist at the Royal Theater in Copenhagen. The musical performance was directed by the Latvian conductor Ainars Rubikis.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57