22 March 2006, 16:34
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence
Shaolin Monastery (Henan Province), March 22, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin toured the Shaolin Monastery in China's Henan Province of Wednesday.
Accompanied by the monastery's abbot, Shi Yongxin, Putin toured the Shaolin grounds and was told about the history of the monastery and its life today.
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence.
The head of the state visited the rooms where the monks live. They are very modest and contain standard beds and small lockers.
Putin saw the prayer room and the room for meditation. He entered it during a session that takes place every six-eight hours. The room was silent, and a soft light was breaking through a smoke of fragrance.
The monks sitting in the lotus position were not embarrassed when the President appeared and continued their meditation that should bring them to enlightening - the heart of Chinese Buddhism.
Putin asked the prior of the Shaolin Monastery how much time the monks dedicate to meditation. He answered that meditation took some six to eight hours every day, and up to ten hours several days a year when the monks sit immovable in the lotus position.
Red badges with Chinese symbols on the monks’ robes drew the President’s attention and he asked the prior what they meant. The prior looked a little embarrassed when answering: ‘This is security clearance done for your visit’.
The Russian president saw not only both spiritual meditation of the monks and their physical training. He visited the gym where the disciples were training. Some dozen monks dressed in gray kimonos demonstrated several exercises for flexibility, body mastering and accumulation of energy.
After an ‘energy’ exercise a disciple came up to the president and asked to strike him thus testing his belly muscles.
The president chose to tap him on the shoulder. ‘I’d better not: suppose he strikes back’, Putin smiled being impressed with the training.
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10
- Kremlin receives no notice from Kadyrov on readiness to resign as Chechnya head to defend Al-Aqsa Mosque 28 July 2017, 13:26
- Kadyrov suggests holy sites on Temple Mount be returned under Jordan's control 28 July 2017, 10:31
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19
- Russia could assume role in resolving conflict around Temple Mount in Jerusalem - Palestinian ambassador 26 July 2017, 17:12
- Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia 26 July 2017, 17:07
- FJCR convinced that scandal surrounding Temple Mount is anti-Semites' work 25 July 2017, 18:38
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00