22 March 2006, 16:34
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence
Shaolin Monastery (Henan Province), March 22, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin toured the Shaolin Monastery in China's Henan Province of Wednesday.
Accompanied by the monastery's abbot, Shi Yongxin, Putin toured the Shaolin grounds and was told about the history of the monastery and its life today.
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence.
The head of the state visited the rooms where the monks live. They are very modest and contain standard beds and small lockers.
Putin saw the prayer room and the room for meditation. He entered it during a session that takes place every six-eight hours. The room was silent, and a soft light was breaking through a smoke of fragrance.
The monks sitting in the lotus position were not embarrassed when the President appeared and continued their meditation that should bring them to enlightening - the heart of Chinese Buddhism.
Putin asked the prior of the Shaolin Monastery how much time the monks dedicate to meditation. He answered that meditation took some six to eight hours every day, and up to ten hours several days a year when the monks sit immovable in the lotus position.
Red badges with Chinese symbols on the monks’ robes drew the President’s attention and he asked the prior what they meant. The prior looked a little embarrassed when answering: ‘This is security clearance done for your visit’.
The Russian president saw not only both spiritual meditation of the monks and their physical training. He visited the gym where the disciples were training. Some dozen monks dressed in gray kimonos demonstrated several exercises for flexibility, body mastering and accumulation of energy.
After an ‘energy’ exercise a disciple came up to the president and asked to strike him thus testing his belly muscles.
The president chose to tap him on the shoulder. ‘I’d better not: suppose he strikes back’, Putin smiled being impressed with the training.
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04