22 March 2006, 16:34
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence
Shaolin Monastery (Henan Province), March 22, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin toured the Shaolin Monastery in China's Henan Province of Wednesday.
Accompanied by the monastery's abbot, Shi Yongxin, Putin toured the Shaolin grounds and was told about the history of the monastery and its life today.
Shaolin monks said a prayer for the future of Russian-Chinese friendship in Putin's presence.
The head of the state visited the rooms where the monks live. They are very modest and contain standard beds and small lockers.
Putin saw the prayer room and the room for meditation. He entered it during a session that takes place every six-eight hours. The room was silent, and a soft light was breaking through a smoke of fragrance.
The monks sitting in the lotus position were not embarrassed when the President appeared and continued their meditation that should bring them to enlightening - the heart of Chinese Buddhism.
Putin asked the prior of the Shaolin Monastery how much time the monks dedicate to meditation. He answered that meditation took some six to eight hours every day, and up to ten hours several days a year when the monks sit immovable in the lotus position.
Red badges with Chinese symbols on the monks’ robes drew the President’s attention and he asked the prior what they meant. The prior looked a little embarrassed when answering: ‘This is security clearance done for your visit’.
The Russian president saw not only both spiritual meditation of the monks and their physical training. He visited the gym where the disciples were training. Some dozen monks dressed in gray kimonos demonstrated several exercises for flexibility, body mastering and accumulation of energy.
After an ‘energy’ exercise a disciple came up to the president and asked to strike him thus testing his belly muscles.
The president chose to tap him on the shoulder. ‘I’d better not: suppose he strikes back’, Putin smiled being impressed with the training.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18