31 March 2015, 16:45
Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe
Moscow, March 31, Interfax - President of the Conference of European Rabbis, Moscow's Chief Rabbi Pinchas Goldschmidt will meet with Pope Francis in Rome on April 20, the rabbi's press service told Interfax-Religion.
"An era of constructive dialogue between the Vatican and Europe has arrived. We are allies today and we deeply respect Pope Francis as a person who has played an enormous role in promoting the development of inter-faith dialogue and in establishing peaceful relations between nations and religions," Goldschmidt said, according to his press service.
"We hope that jointly we will ward off the danger of Islamic radicalism threatening Europe. We are also deeply concerned about the fate of European Jews, many of whom are leaving their homes under this threat," the rabbi said.
The talks will also deal with the role the world religions are playing in establishing diplomatic and cultural dialogue between Russia and Europe.
The Conference of European Rabbis, led by Goldschmidt, unites Jewish communities and their leaders from 40 European states.
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26
- Shaman Gabyshev's supporter detained after he got into Yakutsk mental clinic 22 June 2020, 11:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russian Armed Forces to 'keep their powder dry,' keep unbreakable spirit 22 June 2020, 10:59
- Russia's defense capacity, security solidly ensured - Putin 22 June 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns toppling of statues to American slave holders 22 June 2020, 10:29
- Ukraine investigating case involving fueling of ethnic hatred in creation of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 19 June 2020, 13:28
- Rabbi Lazar does not consider the pandemic God's punishment for human sins 18 June 2020, 17:58
- Vucic asked Russia to support the Serbian Orthodox Church 18 June 2020, 17:30
- Russia's FSB denies taking part in developments in Sredneuralsk monastery 18 June 2020, 12:05
- 'Western values' are unacceptable to Russia - Security Council Secretary Patrushev 17 June 2020, 20:18
- The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church may revise its approach to in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 13:41
- Ingush resident who attacked Moscow policemen was preparing to become suicide bomber - source 16 June 2020, 18:57
- Level of public radicalization declining in Russia - FSB 16 June 2020, 17:03
- Chief rabbi of Russia promises to vaccinate the whole Jewish community against coronavirus 15 June 2020, 21:07
- Russian Jewish community leader criticizes U.S. State Dept for too mild attitude toward Ukrainian govt's anti-Semitic actions 15 June 2020, 19:12
- Putin to visit main church of Russian Armed Forces 15 June 2020, 16:50
- Jewish museum breaks cooperation with those, who placed a xenophobic announcement from its behalf 15 June 2020, 11:46
- Russian Chief Rabbi Lazar being discharged from hospital after recovering from Covid-19 12 June 2020, 18:37
- Arkhangelsk synagogue assailant identified 11 June 2020, 11:39