13 April 2015, 10:02
Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew
Moscow, April 13, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia sent Easter greetings to the cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station on Sunday in his first video linkup with the crew from the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow. He also congratulated the cosmonauts on Cosmonautics Day celebrated on April 12.
"You are doing a great job for the country and for the world as a whole," the patriarch said.
"Outer space has always lured mankind. In our spiritual life, too, we aspire to the stars," he said.
There is a Catholic, the American astronaut Scott Kelly, among the ISS crewmembers. Patriarch Kirill said in this connection that work on an international crew has "enormous peacemaking importance."
On the occasion of the Easter date the crew wore red T-shirts, the color of Easter. They thanked the patriarch for Easter greetings and asked him to pray for a successful completion of their work in space.
Previously, Patriarch Kirill would send Easter and Christmas greeting to the ISS crew by telephone.
- Medvedev lauds Muslim community's efforts against religious extremism, intolerance 21 August 2018, 11:10
- Russian chief mufti urges int'l community to send relief to Syria 21 August 2018, 11:08
- True values of Islam help follow traditions of good neighborliness between peoples – Putin 21 August 2018, 11:04
- Most Russians believe there are forces trying to undermine traditional spiritual values - poll 20 August 2018, 17:42
- Militant attacks in Chechnya aimed at disrupting Eid al-Adha celebrations - Kadyrov 20 August 2018, 16:10
- Tajik president urges citizens to be modest, vigilant 20 August 2018, 15:14
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56