16 April 2015, 17:28
Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated)
Moscow, April 16, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said he is confident that the situation with the speech by Pope Francis in the Vatican on the genocide of Armenians will be resolved.
"I don't want to interfere in the polemic between the Pope and Turkey. Popes are so authoritarian. I consider the Pope to have so much authority in the world that he will find a way to achieve understanding with all people on our planet, regardless of their religious affiliation," Putin told reporters on Thursday.
Putin said he is not familiar with the situation, adding: "I am confident that people in Turkey are smart and flexible enough to resolve any problems that may arise."
On April 12, Pope Francis served a mass in the Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican in memory of the victim of the 1915 genocide of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey. The mass was attended by Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan. During the mass, the pontiff called the mass killing of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire genocide.
That was the first time a pope had used the term 'genocide' to describe the events that occurred in 1915. Observers said after the mass it would cause diplomatic problems between the Vatican and Turkey.
On the same day, the Turkish Foreign Ministry summoned the Vatican ambassador in Ankara to explain the pontiff's statement. The media reports on the issue contained no details o the content of the conversation between the diplomats.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu sharply criticized the Pope's statement on the genocide of Armenians. "The statement by the Pope, which is far from official and historical reality, cannot be accepted by us," the minister said, adding that "it is not appropriate for religious authorities to make insulting, outrageous and ungrounded statements."
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18
- Charter flight with Chassids onboard arrived at Transcarpathia 22 July 2020, 17:13
- Residents of Altai are outraged with the tourists who hook medical masks on the trees "for ghosts" 22 July 2020, 16:32
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev discharged from mental hospital 22 July 2020, 14:26
- Construction of main Olympic team church has started in the south-west Moscow 20 July 2020, 18:19
- One UK, 6 U.S. NGOs designated undesirable in Russia (updated) 20 July 2020, 15:01
- St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice nominated for the best architectural monument of France in 2020 20 July 2020, 14:59
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod calls on global community to keep special status of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul 17 July 2020, 16:32
- Change of Hagia Sophia status Turkey's internal affair - Dodon 17 July 2020, 15:36
- Lot of work to do investigating killing of Emperor Nicholas II, family members - Russian Investigative Committee 17 July 2020, 12:25