21 April 2015, 10:00
Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, April 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called for more cooperation between Russia and Germany.
"The Russian Church remains a consistent advocate of good relations between Germany and Russia. This position is not defined by momentary conditions, it is related to the way we understand our history and the significance of good relations and cooperation between our people," the patriarch said at a meeting with German Ambassador to Russia Rudiger von Fritsch.
He said he is convinced that this relationship matters "not only for our two nations, but for the whole of Europe and even the whole world." In his view, "we need to talk to another on those platforms where we can talk."
He expressed regret over discontinuation of St. Petersburg Dialogue, a Russian-German forum.
"There was a section there, focused on the role of Churches, and we thought the debate within this section has always been useful," Patriarch Kirill said.
The Russian Church has been in dialogue with German Churches for 60 years, and this communication was very important "for overcoming the psychological effects of the Second World War and the difficult relations that arose between our countries."
According to the patriarch, today there are more than a hundred Russian Church parishes in Germany which has around 4 million of natives from Russia.
"These people feel comfortable in Germany, which raises a sense of gratitude because many of them found themselves in a difficult situation when they arrived in Germany, it was difficult first and foremost economically," he said.
For his part, von Fritsch said that Germany and Russia share common Christian roots "and it is Christians in our countries who play a huge role when it comes to promoting peace."
"You have very rightly pointed to the important role of the Church in reconciliation after the war started by Germany, during which Germans caused terrible suffering to the Soviet people," he said.
Germany is set to continue working within St. Petersburg Dialogue's Church Section, the ambassador said. A German-Russian church conference will be held in Germany this fall, he said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15