21 April 2015, 10:03
Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization
Moscow, April 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said Islam must not be demonized, while interaction with traditional Islamic communities should be strengthened.
"We have witnessed a series of sad events over the past year - the seizure of Mosul by Islamic State militants and the destruction of all of the city's 45 churches. It is appalling to think that no undamaged church has survived in Mosul. When some claim that this is being done for the sake of Islam, I can only make one comment. If this is so, someone is doing everything possible to demonize Islam in the eyes of the world," the patriarch said at an Easter reception in the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"No more potent method can be devised to turn Islam into an outcast of Mankind," he said.
"They demonstrate how heads are being cut off for the sake of Islam, how temples are being destroyed and cultural values thrown out. People develop the natural feeling of revulsion seeing all that. This is why we are concurrently strengthening relations with Islamic communities," Patriarch Kirill said.
He said relations should be broadened with the Arab world "in order to jointly prevent the advancement of the extremist wing in the Islamic community and to rule out a distorted understanding of Islam in the world public's mind."
"The presence of Christians in the Middle East is indeed an historical fact, as well as a factor of stability in the region. If the Christian community is supplanted, if Christians do not return, the Middle East will become a mono-religious community," he said.
The Church's and Foreign Ministry's joint work to protect Christians across the world is "a cause of special importance," he said.
"The front for defending Christians should be broadened in the Middle East and in the world as s whole. We welcome the prospect of interaction with the Roman-Catholic Church. We have identical positions on this issue," the Russian patriarch said.
- Russian Orthodox Church official comments on patriarch's stance on 'Yekaterinburg remains' 18 July 2018, 17:20
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33