21 April 2015, 10:03
Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization
Moscow, April 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said Islam must not be demonized, while interaction with traditional Islamic communities should be strengthened.
"We have witnessed a series of sad events over the past year - the seizure of Mosul by Islamic State militants and the destruction of all of the city's 45 churches. It is appalling to think that no undamaged church has survived in Mosul. When some claim that this is being done for the sake of Islam, I can only make one comment. If this is so, someone is doing everything possible to demonize Islam in the eyes of the world," the patriarch said at an Easter reception in the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"No more potent method can be devised to turn Islam into an outcast of Mankind," he said.
"They demonstrate how heads are being cut off for the sake of Islam, how temples are being destroyed and cultural values thrown out. People develop the natural feeling of revulsion seeing all that. This is why we are concurrently strengthening relations with Islamic communities," Patriarch Kirill said.
He said relations should be broadened with the Arab world "in order to jointly prevent the advancement of the extremist wing in the Islamic community and to rule out a distorted understanding of Islam in the world public's mind."
"The presence of Christians in the Middle East is indeed an historical fact, as well as a factor of stability in the region. If the Christian community is supplanted, if Christians do not return, the Middle East will become a mono-religious community," he said.
The Church's and Foreign Ministry's joint work to protect Christians across the world is "a cause of special importance," he said.
"The front for defending Christians should be broadened in the Middle East and in the world as s whole. We welcome the prospect of interaction with the Roman-Catholic Church. We have identical positions on this issue," the Russian patriarch said.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55