21 April 2015, 10:03
Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization
Moscow, April 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said Islam must not be demonized, while interaction with traditional Islamic communities should be strengthened.
"We have witnessed a series of sad events over the past year - the seizure of Mosul by Islamic State militants and the destruction of all of the city's 45 churches. It is appalling to think that no undamaged church has survived in Mosul. When some claim that this is being done for the sake of Islam, I can only make one comment. If this is so, someone is doing everything possible to demonize Islam in the eyes of the world," the patriarch said at an Easter reception in the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"No more potent method can be devised to turn Islam into an outcast of Mankind," he said.
"They demonstrate how heads are being cut off for the sake of Islam, how temples are being destroyed and cultural values thrown out. People develop the natural feeling of revulsion seeing all that. This is why we are concurrently strengthening relations with Islamic communities," Patriarch Kirill said.
He said relations should be broadened with the Arab world "in order to jointly prevent the advancement of the extremist wing in the Islamic community and to rule out a distorted understanding of Islam in the world public's mind."
"The presence of Christians in the Middle East is indeed an historical fact, as well as a factor of stability in the region. If the Christian community is supplanted, if Christians do not return, the Middle East will become a mono-religious community," he said.
The Church's and Foreign Ministry's joint work to protect Christians across the world is "a cause of special importance," he said.
"The front for defending Christians should be broadened in the Middle East and in the world as s whole. We welcome the prospect of interaction with the Roman-Catholic Church. We have identical positions on this issue," the Russian patriarch said.
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48
- May: prayers of the British people are with the families who have lost loved ones in Kemerovo 27 March 2018, 18:32