14 May 2015, 10:02
Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources
Dushanbe, May 14, Interfax - A commander of the Tajik Interior Ministry's OMON riot police, Col. Gulmurod Khalimov, has left the country and is fighting alongside the Islamic State extremist organization in Syria, sources in Tajikistan's law enforcement agencies told Interfax on Thursday.
Khalimov is believed to have left Tajikistan for Moscow on May 1, and on May 2 the Tajik officer boarded a Turkey-bound flight at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, apparently seeking to reach Syria via Turkey.
"Khalimov simply got obsessed with this Islamic State earlier this year. He kept reading online articles about their ideology, started disputes with his colleagues and tried to persuade them that the truth is on their [Islamic State] side," one of the OMON commander's colleagues told Interfax on condition of anonymity.
"He even offered going to Syria to support Islamic State," he said.
A source in Tajik special services confirmed the suggestion that Khalimov had traveled to Syria to join Islamic State there.
"And he was not alone. He gathered about a dozen single-minded persons," the source said.
At the same time, official representatives of Tajikistan's Interior Ministry and other law enforcement agencies have declined to comment on Khalimov's current whereabouts.
When asked by reporters about Khalimov's departure from Tajikistan, the country's Deputy Interior Minister Ikrom Umarzoda said that he "knows nothing about it."
Khalimov, who has commanded Tajikistan's OMON riot police since 2012, holds several state awards.
Tajik resident Farrukh Sharifov told reporters in Dushanbe on Monday that he had fought alongside Islamic State in Syria, but had grown disillusioned with this group and had voluntarily returned to Tajikistan.
According to Tajik special services, up to 200 Tajik citizens are fighting on the side of Islamic State today. At least 40 Tajik people have been confirmed killed.
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53