19 June 2015, 14:00
Former Tajik OMON commander threatens to cut off his own brother's head
Dushanbe, June 19, Interfax - A former Tajik OMON unit commander who joined the terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in late May has posted online a new video to deny his alleged mental disorder and to threaten his brother who urged him to go home and stand trial.
A number of state-owned Tajik media outlets branded Col. Gulmurod Khalimov mad after the Prosecutor General's Office had charged him in absentia with high treason and membership of an illegal armed unit fighting in foreign territory.
"I am absolutely healthy. And I am surprised. How could you send a crazy man to the United States for training, how could you give me the colonel's rank and thrice decorate me with medals? If I am mad so are other colonels of the Interior Ministry," Khalimov said in the video which depicted him against the background of the ISIL flag, black with a white sun and words in Arabic on it.
The first video of the former Tajik OMON unit commander was posted in social networking services on May 28. Khalimov, posing for the video against the background of palm trees and bearded men with arms in their hands, said that he had come to Syria to fight for "rights of Muslims" and promised to return to Tajikistan and enforce Sharia law, a code of Muslim regulations.
The second video showed Khalimov wearing a beard and seated with another two bearded men. Two submachine guns stood against the wall in the background.
"I swear in the name of Allah to use my weapon only against the infidels. If my brother stands against me and becomes an infidel, I will personally cut off his head," Khalimov said.
The colonel's brother, Lt. Col. Saidmurod Khalimov, an employee of the Tajik Justice Ministry, send an open letter to his brother on May 31. "I am asking you to return to Tajikistan and stand trial," the brother wrote in the letter published by a number of Tajik media outlets.
The brother of the fugitive claimed that he tendered his resignation immediately after the video was released but his superiors did not accept it and said "everyone must bear personal responsibility for one's crimes."
The second video of Khalimov explained his siding with ISIL via alleged violations of religious norms in his home country. For instance, he criticized provisions of the Tajik laws On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and On Liability of Parents passed in 2009 and 2011, respectively, which prohibited minors from visiting mosques. The norms were criticized by human rights activists and Western states, which said they might displease the civilian population and provoke its interest in propaganda of extremist movements.
Interpol has posted a most wanted person bulletin on Khalimov. He is the father of eight children and a graduate of the Interior Ministry Academy, who has been on exchange programs to Russia and the United States more than once.
The Tajik Supreme Court has added ISIL to the list of terrorist organizations and citizens who join ISIL's ranks will face prosecution on terrorism counts.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55