19 June 2015, 14:00
Former Tajik OMON commander threatens to cut off his own brother's head
Dushanbe, June 19, Interfax - A former Tajik OMON unit commander who joined the terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in late May has posted online a new video to deny his alleged mental disorder and to threaten his brother who urged him to go home and stand trial.
A number of state-owned Tajik media outlets branded Col. Gulmurod Khalimov mad after the Prosecutor General's Office had charged him in absentia with high treason and membership of an illegal armed unit fighting in foreign territory.
"I am absolutely healthy. And I am surprised. How could you send a crazy man to the United States for training, how could you give me the colonel's rank and thrice decorate me with medals? If I am mad so are other colonels of the Interior Ministry," Khalimov said in the video which depicted him against the background of the ISIL flag, black with a white sun and words in Arabic on it.
The first video of the former Tajik OMON unit commander was posted in social networking services on May 28. Khalimov, posing for the video against the background of palm trees and bearded men with arms in their hands, said that he had come to Syria to fight for "rights of Muslims" and promised to return to Tajikistan and enforce Sharia law, a code of Muslim regulations.
The second video showed Khalimov wearing a beard and seated with another two bearded men. Two submachine guns stood against the wall in the background.
"I swear in the name of Allah to use my weapon only against the infidels. If my brother stands against me and becomes an infidel, I will personally cut off his head," Khalimov said.
The colonel's brother, Lt. Col. Saidmurod Khalimov, an employee of the Tajik Justice Ministry, send an open letter to his brother on May 31. "I am asking you to return to Tajikistan and stand trial," the brother wrote in the letter published by a number of Tajik media outlets.
The brother of the fugitive claimed that he tendered his resignation immediately after the video was released but his superiors did not accept it and said "everyone must bear personal responsibility for one's crimes."
The second video of Khalimov explained his siding with ISIL via alleged violations of religious norms in his home country. For instance, he criticized provisions of the Tajik laws On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and On Liability of Parents passed in 2009 and 2011, respectively, which prohibited minors from visiting mosques. The norms were criticized by human rights activists and Western states, which said they might displease the civilian population and provoke its interest in propaganda of extremist movements.
Interpol has posted a most wanted person bulletin on Khalimov. He is the father of eight children and a graduate of the Interior Ministry Academy, who has been on exchange programs to Russia and the United States more than once.
The Tajik Supreme Court has added ISIL to the list of terrorist organizations and citizens who join ISIL's ranks will face prosecution on terrorism counts.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11