19 June 2015, 14:00
Former Tajik OMON commander threatens to cut off his own brother's head
Dushanbe, June 19, Interfax - A former Tajik OMON unit commander who joined the terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in late May has posted online a new video to deny his alleged mental disorder and to threaten his brother who urged him to go home and stand trial.
A number of state-owned Tajik media outlets branded Col. Gulmurod Khalimov mad after the Prosecutor General's Office had charged him in absentia with high treason and membership of an illegal armed unit fighting in foreign territory.
"I am absolutely healthy. And I am surprised. How could you send a crazy man to the United States for training, how could you give me the colonel's rank and thrice decorate me with medals? If I am mad so are other colonels of the Interior Ministry," Khalimov said in the video which depicted him against the background of the ISIL flag, black with a white sun and words in Arabic on it.
The first video of the former Tajik OMON unit commander was posted in social networking services on May 28. Khalimov, posing for the video against the background of palm trees and bearded men with arms in their hands, said that he had come to Syria to fight for "rights of Muslims" and promised to return to Tajikistan and enforce Sharia law, a code of Muslim regulations.
The second video showed Khalimov wearing a beard and seated with another two bearded men. Two submachine guns stood against the wall in the background.
"I swear in the name of Allah to use my weapon only against the infidels. If my brother stands against me and becomes an infidel, I will personally cut off his head," Khalimov said.
The colonel's brother, Lt. Col. Saidmurod Khalimov, an employee of the Tajik Justice Ministry, send an open letter to his brother on May 31. "I am asking you to return to Tajikistan and stand trial," the brother wrote in the letter published by a number of Tajik media outlets.
The brother of the fugitive claimed that he tendered his resignation immediately after the video was released but his superiors did not accept it and said "everyone must bear personal responsibility for one's crimes."
The second video of Khalimov explained his siding with ISIL via alleged violations of religious norms in his home country. For instance, he criticized provisions of the Tajik laws On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and On Liability of Parents passed in 2009 and 2011, respectively, which prohibited minors from visiting mosques. The norms were criticized by human rights activists and Western states, which said they might displease the civilian population and provoke its interest in propaganda of extremist movements.
Interpol has posted a most wanted person bulletin on Khalimov. He is the father of eight children and a graduate of the Interior Ministry Academy, who has been on exchange programs to Russia and the United States more than once.
The Tajik Supreme Court has added ISIL to the list of terrorist organizations and citizens who join ISIL's ranks will face prosecution on terrorism counts.
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21
- The Gorno-Altaysk archbishop dived to the bottom of a lake 26 June 2018, 17:18
- Russian MP Gavrilov elected president of General Assembly of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy 26 June 2018, 17:13