19 June 2015, 14:00
Former Tajik OMON commander threatens to cut off his own brother's head
Dushanbe, June 19, Interfax - A former Tajik OMON unit commander who joined the terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in late May has posted online a new video to deny his alleged mental disorder and to threaten his brother who urged him to go home and stand trial.
A number of state-owned Tajik media outlets branded Col. Gulmurod Khalimov mad after the Prosecutor General's Office had charged him in absentia with high treason and membership of an illegal armed unit fighting in foreign territory.
"I am absolutely healthy. And I am surprised. How could you send a crazy man to the United States for training, how could you give me the colonel's rank and thrice decorate me with medals? If I am mad so are other colonels of the Interior Ministry," Khalimov said in the video which depicted him against the background of the ISIL flag, black with a white sun and words in Arabic on it.
The first video of the former Tajik OMON unit commander was posted in social networking services on May 28. Khalimov, posing for the video against the background of palm trees and bearded men with arms in their hands, said that he had come to Syria to fight for "rights of Muslims" and promised to return to Tajikistan and enforce Sharia law, a code of Muslim regulations.
The second video showed Khalimov wearing a beard and seated with another two bearded men. Two submachine guns stood against the wall in the background.
"I swear in the name of Allah to use my weapon only against the infidels. If my brother stands against me and becomes an infidel, I will personally cut off his head," Khalimov said.
The colonel's brother, Lt. Col. Saidmurod Khalimov, an employee of the Tajik Justice Ministry, send an open letter to his brother on May 31. "I am asking you to return to Tajikistan and stand trial," the brother wrote in the letter published by a number of Tajik media outlets.
The brother of the fugitive claimed that he tendered his resignation immediately after the video was released but his superiors did not accept it and said "everyone must bear personal responsibility for one's crimes."
The second video of Khalimov explained his siding with ISIL via alleged violations of religious norms in his home country. For instance, he criticized provisions of the Tajik laws On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and On Liability of Parents passed in 2009 and 2011, respectively, which prohibited minors from visiting mosques. The norms were criticized by human rights activists and Western states, which said they might displease the civilian population and provoke its interest in propaganda of extremist movements.
Interpol has posted a most wanted person bulletin on Khalimov. He is the father of eight children and a graduate of the Interior Ministry Academy, who has been on exchange programs to Russia and the United States more than once.
The Tajik Supreme Court has added ISIL to the list of terrorist organizations and citizens who join ISIL's ranks will face prosecution on terrorism counts.
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch of Bulgaria 05 March 2019, 12:33
- Russian Council of Muftis head forecasts dramatic increase in number of Muslims in Russia 04 March 2019, 17:18