26 June 2015, 18:09
Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll
Moscow, June 26, Interfax - Russian society became more liberal to sex before marriage in the past 25 years, a poll conducted by the All-Russia Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) shows.
The poll, which surveys 1,600 people, was conducted in 130 populated areas of Russia. It shows that the percentage of respondents who believe sex before marriage is unacceptable for young men went down from 29% in 1989 to 21% in 2014 and the percentage of people who believe it is unacceptable for young women went down from 37% in 1989 to 26% in 2014.
The poll shows that older people are more conservative on this matter than young people. Responding to a question as to whether sex before marriage is acceptable, 42% of the respondents older than 60 believe it is unacceptable for young men and 47% said it is unacceptable for young women (of the respondents aged 18-24, only 8% said it is unacceptable for young men and 16% said it is unacceptable for young women).
Twenty-six percent of the respondents are tolerant of sex between a young man and his future wife and 32% are tolerant of a relationship between a young woman and her future husband.
The percentage of respondents who believe citizens have a right to have sexual relations with any partner has increased considerably: 27% of the respondents (against 11% in 1989) said young men have a right to have sex with any woman and 20% (against 6% in 1989) said young women have a right to have sexual relations with any man.
Some respondents believe sex before marriage is not only allowed, but also useful for young men (13%) and for young women (9%).
Forty-nine percent of the respondents (against 48% in 1989) who find sex before marriage acceptable believe the acceptable age for beginning sexual life is 18-19, 17% believe it is normal to begin sexual life at 16-17, and 23% believe it is better to wait until at least twenty.
The number of respondents who believe sex before marriage is now widespread has increased considerably from the Soviet times (59% against 41%). Twenty-nine percent of the respondents believe sex before marriage is very common. Only 3% of the respondents said such a thing is rare (the percentage has not changed since 1989).
Fifty-two percent of the respondents said the main reason why sex before marriage is widespread is moral decline (against 42% in 1989). More Russians now mention people's wish to imitate the Western lifestyle as the main factor (from 14% to 34%). Others blame insufficient sexual education of young people (31%), earlier physical maturation (29%), and changes in the ideas of love (27%).
Among the possible negative consequences of sex before marriage, most respondents mentioned the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS (56%), the probability of many children being abandoned (46%), the increase in the number of weak families, which are created 'out of necessity'(37%).
The percentage of those who believe abortions will increase women's infertility has doubled (from 21% to 40%). More respondents are mentioning consequences such as problems with getting an education due to an early pregnancy (from 12% to 27%) and the worsening of relations between young people and the older generation (from 12% to 25%).
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57