26 June 2015, 18:09
Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll
Moscow, June 26, Interfax - Russian society became more liberal to sex before marriage in the past 25 years, a poll conducted by the All-Russia Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) shows.
The poll, which surveys 1,600 people, was conducted in 130 populated areas of Russia. It shows that the percentage of respondents who believe sex before marriage is unacceptable for young men went down from 29% in 1989 to 21% in 2014 and the percentage of people who believe it is unacceptable for young women went down from 37% in 1989 to 26% in 2014.
The poll shows that older people are more conservative on this matter than young people. Responding to a question as to whether sex before marriage is acceptable, 42% of the respondents older than 60 believe it is unacceptable for young men and 47% said it is unacceptable for young women (of the respondents aged 18-24, only 8% said it is unacceptable for young men and 16% said it is unacceptable for young women).
Twenty-six percent of the respondents are tolerant of sex between a young man and his future wife and 32% are tolerant of a relationship between a young woman and her future husband.
The percentage of respondents who believe citizens have a right to have sexual relations with any partner has increased considerably: 27% of the respondents (against 11% in 1989) said young men have a right to have sex with any woman and 20% (against 6% in 1989) said young women have a right to have sexual relations with any man.
Some respondents believe sex before marriage is not only allowed, but also useful for young men (13%) and for young women (9%).
Forty-nine percent of the respondents (against 48% in 1989) who find sex before marriage acceptable believe the acceptable age for beginning sexual life is 18-19, 17% believe it is normal to begin sexual life at 16-17, and 23% believe it is better to wait until at least twenty.
The number of respondents who believe sex before marriage is now widespread has increased considerably from the Soviet times (59% against 41%). Twenty-nine percent of the respondents believe sex before marriage is very common. Only 3% of the respondents said such a thing is rare (the percentage has not changed since 1989).
Fifty-two percent of the respondents said the main reason why sex before marriage is widespread is moral decline (against 42% in 1989). More Russians now mention people's wish to imitate the Western lifestyle as the main factor (from 14% to 34%). Others blame insufficient sexual education of young people (31%), earlier physical maturation (29%), and changes in the ideas of love (27%).
Among the possible negative consequences of sex before marriage, most respondents mentioned the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS (56%), the probability of many children being abandoned (46%), the increase in the number of weak families, which are created 'out of necessity'(37%).
The percentage of those who believe abortions will increase women's infertility has doubled (from 21% to 40%). More respondents are mentioning consequences such as problems with getting an education due to an early pregnancy (from 12% to 27%) and the worsening of relations between young people and the older generation (from 12% to 25%).
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04