29 June 2015, 18:18
Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set
Moscow, June 29, Interfax - Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion, contrary to media claims, did not say that the question of the specific time and place of a meeting of Patriarch Kirill and the Pope has been decided, DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations Hieromonk Stephan (Igumnov) told Interfax-Religion.
On Sunday, part of the Russian media, quoting Metropolitan Hilarion's interview with the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, reported that a meeting between the heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox Churches is possible in the nearest future in neutral territory.
"Unfortunately, the publication does not quite accurately convey the thoughts that Metropolitan Hilarion expressed in the interview with the journalist of the Italian newspaper. In reply to a corresponding question His Grace gave the same answer that he had previously given in similar cases that preparations for such a meeting of the heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox Churches proceed in working mode, that the question of arranging it has not been removed from the agenda but that no specific time or place is being discussed yet," the church official said to Interfax-Religion on Monday.
"If such a meeting does take place, it will be historic in nature, therefore the process of preparing key issues relating to bilateral relations between our churches should be thoroughly tackled so that the meeting would be fruitful to the utmost instead of being a purely protocol event," he said.
Father Stephan assumed that the Italian newspaper journalist "apparently paraphrased some part of the interview and said it in his own words."
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42