07 July 2015, 10:01
Moscow Patriarchate tells OSCE about persecutions of canonical Orthodox Church adherents in Ukraine
Moscow, July 7, Interfax - The deputy chairman of the Synodal Department for Church-Society Relations, Priest Roman Bogdasarov, has called for protection of the rights of the adherents of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate (UOC MP) at an Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) meeting on the freedom of religion and belief.
"During a number of events held on the sidelines of major formal meetings, presentations were held of biased reports about the oppression of members of schismatic organizations in Ukraine, about alleged instances of violence on the part of UOC MP priests, about pressure on the part of the Russian political power on the official churchdom in Ukraine," Father Roman told Interfax-Religion.
In response to these allegations by representatives of nonprofit organizations, the priest cited statistics about the rising number of seizures of the UOC MP churches by schismatics "with the tacit approval by the Ukrainian authorities," about the torturing of priests of the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine, about the stealing of church property and violence against the UOC laity and clergy.
The Russian Church representative stressed particularly the invariably peaceful position of Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine and told about the prayers being made with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill at all Russian Orthodox churches for the fratricidal conflict in Ukraine to end.
At an OSCE conference in mid-May 2015, Priest Dimitry Safonov, the head of the sector for interreligious liaisons at the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department for External Church Relations, said that 77 churches and monasteries had been damaged or demolished during the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine. A month later the UOC Synod stated that schismatics from the so-called Kiev Patriarchate had recently seized 23 churches of the canonical Church.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57