09 July 2015, 10:05
Russian Orthodox Church supports compilation of stop list of foreign NGOs
Moscow, July 9, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has expressed support for the Federation Council's suggestion on declaring the operations of a number of foreign NGOs unwanted.
"The Federation Council has come up with a very correct initiative. I have been calling for a long time to deny any support to the Soros foundation and other organizations operating in Russia with foreign funding and trying to impose the U.S. political and economic model here which was rejected by our society a long time ago," the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said to Interfax-Religion.
He called such organizations antisocial noting that some of their representatives claim that they are promoting civil society in Russia "though we have a developed society, it has its own views of the developments in the country and the world and these views of most people differ from Western."
"The system of values of Western elites, U.S. in particular, is followed predominantly by those who are financed by these antisocial NGOs, who have property in the West, who are linked with Western countries by common economic manipulations and are afraid of losing their ties with Western states," the clergyman said.
He said most people "link their future with Russia and Russia alone, with our own civilization path of development." He was surprised by the claims of the said organizations that they are working to spread democracy.
"What democracy do they mean? Is it the one in which with a majority of one vote passed in a narrow circle of judges without the involvement of parliament or without an actual study of the public opinion it was decided to equalize marriage with abhorrent perversity? Is it the one in which financial policy is fully kept in the hands of the Federal Reserve System that has not been elected by anyone and that has long lost its moral lawfulness? Is it the one that has imposed on nations by force a political choice directly opposing their will? If it is this kind of democracy that they want to impose on us, we should resolutely say No," the official of the Church said.
Earlier reports said that the Russian Federation Council on Wednesday demanded that the Prosecutor General's Office, the Foreign Ministry and the Justice Ministry scrutinize the operations of 12 foreign non-governmental organizations (NGO) in Russia for their compliance with Russian law and declare them unwanted in Russian territory. The so-called 'patriotic stop list' features George Soros' Open Society Foundation, Freedom House and the Ukrainian World Congress among others. Senators believe that the operations of such NGOs financed from abroad constitute "mild aggression" against Russia.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57