10 July 2015, 15:30
Most Russians oppose same-sex "marriage" - poll
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - Less than a quarter of Russians believe sexual orientation is a person's personal business and a majority oppose the legalization of same-sex "marriage", a public opinion poll conducted by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) shows.
The poll, which surveys 1,600 people living in 130 populated areas of 46 regions of Russia, was conducted on April 11-12 and July 4-5.
Almost a quarter of the respondents (22%) believe sexual preferences are a person's private business and said they don't care about the sexual orientation of people they talk with. Meanwhile, 20% of respondents said people of non-traditional sexual orientation need medical assistance and another 20% believe they should be isolated from society.
Fifteen percent of respondents believe homosexuals are normal people, but said they personally would not like to communicate with them. Another 15% said homosexuality is a social disease and treatment should be given to society, not gays and lesbians. Eight percent of the respondents were undecided.
Meanwhile, 80% of respondents believe homosexuals should not have a right to marry people of the same sex. Only 8% said they believe such unions should be legalized and 6% believe they are undecided on the issue of the legalization of same-sex "marriage".
Responding to a question as to what the state policy on sexual minorities should be, 41% of respondents said that the authorities should eradicate homosexuality as a phenomenon and prosecute gays and lesbians. Most of these respondents are people older than sixty (53%).
Thirty-two percent of respondents believe the state should not take an interest in citizens' social orientation and citizens, for their part, should not try to advertise their preferences. Twelve percent of respondents believe the state should defend the rights of sexual minorities, but should not allow them to make families, adopt children or use in vitrio insemination. Three percent of respondents believe same-sex "marriage" should be legalized, but without the right to raise children. Another 3% of respondents believe homosexual couples should have the same rights as straight couples. Nine percent of respondents were undecided.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42