10 July 2015, 15:30
Most Russians oppose same-sex "marriage" - poll
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - Less than a quarter of Russians believe sexual orientation is a person's personal business and a majority oppose the legalization of same-sex "marriage", a public opinion poll conducted by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) shows.
The poll, which surveys 1,600 people living in 130 populated areas of 46 regions of Russia, was conducted on April 11-12 and July 4-5.
Almost a quarter of the respondents (22%) believe sexual preferences are a person's private business and said they don't care about the sexual orientation of people they talk with. Meanwhile, 20% of respondents said people of non-traditional sexual orientation need medical assistance and another 20% believe they should be isolated from society.
Fifteen percent of respondents believe homosexuals are normal people, but said they personally would not like to communicate with them. Another 15% said homosexuality is a social disease and treatment should be given to society, not gays and lesbians. Eight percent of the respondents were undecided.
Meanwhile, 80% of respondents believe homosexuals should not have a right to marry people of the same sex. Only 8% said they believe such unions should be legalized and 6% believe they are undecided on the issue of the legalization of same-sex "marriage".
Responding to a question as to what the state policy on sexual minorities should be, 41% of respondents said that the authorities should eradicate homosexuality as a phenomenon and prosecute gays and lesbians. Most of these respondents are people older than sixty (53%).
Thirty-two percent of respondents believe the state should not take an interest in citizens' social orientation and citizens, for their part, should not try to advertise their preferences. Twelve percent of respondents believe the state should defend the rights of sexual minorities, but should not allow them to make families, adopt children or use in vitrio insemination. Three percent of respondents believe same-sex "marriage" should be legalized, but without the right to raise children. Another 3% of respondents believe homosexual couples should have the same rights as straight couples. Nine percent of respondents were undecided.
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10
- Russian Orthodox Church sees dangers in reduction of marriage age in Russia 13 January 2020, 14:05
- The Russian Church expects Putin will refer to health care and education in his yearly address 13 January 2020, 13:55
- Filaret recalls signature under UOC-KP liquidation 13 January 2020, 10:06
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities shut down in Murmansk 30 December 2019, 21:02
- Putin sends Christmas, New Year's greetings to European leaders 30 December 2019, 19:14
- ROC calls for protection of rights of Orthodox Christians in Montenegro 30 December 2019, 16:04
- Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world 30 December 2019, 11:11
- Over 100 'program' churches built in Moscow over 9 years 27 December 2019, 19:56
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of patriarch of Alexandria for recognizing new church of Ukraine 26 December 2019, 16:45
- Leader of Jehovah's Witnesses in Vologda detained in extremist organization probe 25 December 2019, 19:46
- Russian Jews agree with Putin's opinion on Polish ambassador who supported Hitler 25 December 2019, 17:51
- Cassation court posthumously acquits Orthodox dissident Shchipkova 40 years after sentencing 25 December 2019, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill on Christmas Day calls on Pope, other Christian leaders to combine efforts to help people affected by armed conflicts 25 December 2019, 15:25
- Some 64% of Ukrainians don't support shifting Christmas celebrations to December 25 - opinion poll 25 December 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church could open parishes in Africa if Patriarchate of Alexandria sides with Ukrainian schism - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 24 December 2019, 21:48
- U.S. Department of State report on freedom of religion in Russia not worthy of attention - Russian Orthodox Church 23 December 2019, 13:52
- Patriarch Kirill's ex-press secretary appointed to new position 20 December 2019, 16:19
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod to make decision on Patriarch of Alexandria after his recognition of OCU next week 20 December 2019, 14:51
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04