24 July 2015, 11:42
Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists
Cholpon-Ata/Osh, July 24, Interfax - Kyrgyz Prime Minister Temir Sariyev believes that persons convicted of terrorism and religious extremism should be isolated from other inmates in order to prevent the radicalization and recruitment of the latter.
"The republic needs to build a special prison for people convicted of religious extremism as they are energetically recruiting criminals for their ranks," Sariyev said at a visiting session of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry Board in Cholpon-Ata in the Issyk-Kul Region on Friday.
"Blending religious extremists and criminals generates a dreadful combination," he said.
"We saw the results of such blending in Bishkek last week when security services liquidated a group of members of an international terrorist organization, among them were criminals who had joined ISIL," Sariyev said.
In the opinion of the prime minister, the isolation of persons convicted of religious extremism will help avoid religious radicalization of the rest of the prison inmates.
Police officers in southern Kyrgyzstan, which has witnessed the highest rate of recruitment for fighting on the side of Islamic radicals in Syria and Iraq, have long been proposing the isolation of people detained on religious extremism suspicions or convicted of that offense.
They cited as a negative example the holding of Rashid Kamalov, imam of the Kara-Sui mosque in the Osh Region detained for recruiting believers for the war in Syria, in the same cell with other inmates at the Osh detention center. The imam continued his propaganda after he had been locked up.
According to the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry, 422 citizens of Kyrgyzstan, including 55 women, are fighting for Islamic radical groups in Syria and Iraq.
- Muslim countries can rely on Russia's support in tackling regional crises – Putin 28 July 2021, 14:01
- Court again commits Yakut shaman Gabyshev to psychiatric clinic 27 July 2021, 10:46
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32