24 July 2015, 11:42
Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists
Cholpon-Ata/Osh, July 24, Interfax - Kyrgyz Prime Minister Temir Sariyev believes that persons convicted of terrorism and religious extremism should be isolated from other inmates in order to prevent the radicalization and recruitment of the latter.
"The republic needs to build a special prison for people convicted of religious extremism as they are energetically recruiting criminals for their ranks," Sariyev said at a visiting session of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry Board in Cholpon-Ata in the Issyk-Kul Region on Friday.
"Blending religious extremists and criminals generates a dreadful combination," he said.
"We saw the results of such blending in Bishkek last week when security services liquidated a group of members of an international terrorist organization, among them were criminals who had joined ISIL," Sariyev said.
In the opinion of the prime minister, the isolation of persons convicted of religious extremism will help avoid religious radicalization of the rest of the prison inmates.
Police officers in southern Kyrgyzstan, which has witnessed the highest rate of recruitment for fighting on the side of Islamic radicals in Syria and Iraq, have long been proposing the isolation of people detained on religious extremism suspicions or convicted of that offense.
They cited as a negative example the holding of Rashid Kamalov, imam of the Kara-Sui mosque in the Osh Region detained for recruiting believers for the war in Syria, in the same cell with other inmates at the Osh detention center. The imam continued his propaganda after he had been locked up.
According to the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry, 422 citizens of Kyrgyzstan, including 55 women, are fighting for Islamic radical groups in Syria and Iraq.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42