24 July 2015, 11:42
Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists
Cholpon-Ata/Osh, July 24, Interfax - Kyrgyz Prime Minister Temir Sariyev believes that persons convicted of terrorism and religious extremism should be isolated from other inmates in order to prevent the radicalization and recruitment of the latter.
"The republic needs to build a special prison for people convicted of religious extremism as they are energetically recruiting criminals for their ranks," Sariyev said at a visiting session of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry Board in Cholpon-Ata in the Issyk-Kul Region on Friday.
"Blending religious extremists and criminals generates a dreadful combination," he said.
"We saw the results of such blending in Bishkek last week when security services liquidated a group of members of an international terrorist organization, among them were criminals who had joined ISIL," Sariyev said.
In the opinion of the prime minister, the isolation of persons convicted of religious extremism will help avoid religious radicalization of the rest of the prison inmates.
Police officers in southern Kyrgyzstan, which has witnessed the highest rate of recruitment for fighting on the side of Islamic radicals in Syria and Iraq, have long been proposing the isolation of people detained on religious extremism suspicions or convicted of that offense.
They cited as a negative example the holding of Rashid Kamalov, imam of the Kara-Sui mosque in the Osh Region detained for recruiting believers for the war in Syria, in the same cell with other inmates at the Osh detention center. The imam continued his propaganda after he had been locked up.
According to the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry, 422 citizens of Kyrgyzstan, including 55 women, are fighting for Islamic radical groups in Syria and Iraq.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13