24 July 2015, 11:42
Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists
Cholpon-Ata/Osh, July 24, Interfax - Kyrgyz Prime Minister Temir Sariyev believes that persons convicted of terrorism and religious extremism should be isolated from other inmates in order to prevent the radicalization and recruitment of the latter.
"The republic needs to build a special prison for people convicted of religious extremism as they are energetically recruiting criminals for their ranks," Sariyev said at a visiting session of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry Board in Cholpon-Ata in the Issyk-Kul Region on Friday.
"Blending religious extremists and criminals generates a dreadful combination," he said.
"We saw the results of such blending in Bishkek last week when security services liquidated a group of members of an international terrorist organization, among them were criminals who had joined ISIL," Sariyev said.
In the opinion of the prime minister, the isolation of persons convicted of religious extremism will help avoid religious radicalization of the rest of the prison inmates.
Police officers in southern Kyrgyzstan, which has witnessed the highest rate of recruitment for fighting on the side of Islamic radicals in Syria and Iraq, have long been proposing the isolation of people detained on religious extremism suspicions or convicted of that offense.
They cited as a negative example the holding of Rashid Kamalov, imam of the Kara-Sui mosque in the Osh Region detained for recruiting believers for the war in Syria, in the same cell with other inmates at the Osh detention center. The imam continued his propaganda after he had been locked up.
According to the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry, 422 citizens of Kyrgyzstan, including 55 women, are fighting for Islamic radical groups in Syria and Iraq.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40