10 August 2015, 12:47
Tajikistan exempts from liability 36 repenting ISIL followers
Dushanbe, August 10, Interfax - Thirty-six Tajik citizens who went to Syria to join ISIL have returned to their home country being disappointed in the movement; they are exempt from criminal liability, the Tajik Interior Ministry press service said on Monday.
Law enforcement authorities believe that these 36 people "went to Syria by mistake or under the influence of fraud." "All of them repent because they have learned the entire truth about ISIL," the ministry said.
Many of those exempt from criminal liability are women who went to Syria with their husbands and boyfriends. Their husbands died in the hostilities, and the women were abused by other ISIL fighters.
"The rescued women who managed to come back said that they were violated for several months under the threat of being murdered. Different men threatened them with reprisal if they refused to accommodate their sexual needs," a senior officer of the Interior Ministry with knowledge of the returned persons' cases told Interfax.
International media frequently reports the so-called 'sex jihad' practiced in ISIL-controlled territories. Militants 'marry' women according to Muslim traditions and immediately after their wedding night or several hours later annul their marriage by saying a special phrase.
The Tajik Interior Ministry said that 519 citizens of Tajikistan were fighting for ISIL at the moment and that about 150 more had died fighting in Syria and Iraq.
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31