10 August 2015, 12:47
Tajikistan exempts from liability 36 repenting ISIL followers
Dushanbe, August 10, Interfax - Thirty-six Tajik citizens who went to Syria to join ISIL have returned to their home country being disappointed in the movement; they are exempt from criminal liability, the Tajik Interior Ministry press service said on Monday.
Law enforcement authorities believe that these 36 people "went to Syria by mistake or under the influence of fraud." "All of them repent because they have learned the entire truth about ISIL," the ministry said.
Many of those exempt from criminal liability are women who went to Syria with their husbands and boyfriends. Their husbands died in the hostilities, and the women were abused by other ISIL fighters.
"The rescued women who managed to come back said that they were violated for several months under the threat of being murdered. Different men threatened them with reprisal if they refused to accommodate their sexual needs," a senior officer of the Interior Ministry with knowledge of the returned persons' cases told Interfax.
International media frequently reports the so-called 'sex jihad' practiced in ISIL-controlled territories. Militants 'marry' women according to Muslim traditions and immediately after their wedding night or several hours later annul their marriage by saying a special phrase.
The Tajik Interior Ministry said that 519 citizens of Tajikistan were fighting for ISIL at the moment and that about 150 more had died fighting in Syria and Iraq.
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch of Bulgaria 05 March 2019, 12:33
- Russian Council of Muftis head forecasts dramatic increase in number of Muslims in Russia 04 March 2019, 17:18