12 August 2015, 13:45
Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan Political Council converges in Istanbul
Dushanbe, August 12, Interfax - The largest opposition force in Tajikistan, the Islamic Renaissance Party, has held a meeting of its Political Council in Istanbul, Turkey, the party press service reported on Wednesday.
The party had to do so as it feared for its chairman Muhiddin Kabiri who has not returned to his home country since March 2015.
"The Islamic Renaissance Party Political Council has held a meeting in Istanbul to confer on preparations for the next party congress, the escalating pressure of the authorities on party members and a possible reshuffle of the party leadership," it said.
The party failed to win at least one parliament seat for the first time in the modern history of Tajikistan in the March 1 parliamentary elections.
The governmental newspaper Chumkhuriyat said in early June that Islamic Renaissance Party members were leaving Tajikistan for Syria to join ISIL ranks. The same newspaper published an article on June 18 to accuse party leader Kabiri of fraud in selling a land plot.
"As always, the Islamic Renaissance Party is opposed to restrictions on party operations and pressure on its followers and is adherent to the tolerance policy," the report said.
Kabiri who left on a lecture tour to Europe immediately after the elections said he feared to return back to his home country because of the threats made against his family and the possible opening of a politically-motivated criminal case against him. Such things have happened to other opponents of Tajik President Emomali Rahmon who has been in office for the past 23 years.
The Islamic Renaissance Party is the only legal religious party operating in the post-Soviet space.
Experts criticize Tajik authorities that stomp on any unauthorized manifestations of Islam. Dozens are thrown in jail yearly on counts of religious extremism which human rights defenders describe as a reaction to the persecution of religion, poverty and lack of education.
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill hopes celebrations of 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus can help overcome division in Ukraine 26 July 2018, 18:41