12 August 2015, 13:45
Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan Political Council converges in Istanbul
Dushanbe, August 12, Interfax - The largest opposition force in Tajikistan, the Islamic Renaissance Party, has held a meeting of its Political Council in Istanbul, Turkey, the party press service reported on Wednesday.
The party had to do so as it feared for its chairman Muhiddin Kabiri who has not returned to his home country since March 2015.
"The Islamic Renaissance Party Political Council has held a meeting in Istanbul to confer on preparations for the next party congress, the escalating pressure of the authorities on party members and a possible reshuffle of the party leadership," it said.
The party failed to win at least one parliament seat for the first time in the modern history of Tajikistan in the March 1 parliamentary elections.
The governmental newspaper Chumkhuriyat said in early June that Islamic Renaissance Party members were leaving Tajikistan for Syria to join ISIL ranks. The same newspaper published an article on June 18 to accuse party leader Kabiri of fraud in selling a land plot.
"As always, the Islamic Renaissance Party is opposed to restrictions on party operations and pressure on its followers and is adherent to the tolerance policy," the report said.
Kabiri who left on a lecture tour to Europe immediately after the elections said he feared to return back to his home country because of the threats made against his family and the possible opening of a politically-motivated criminal case against him. Such things have happened to other opponents of Tajik President Emomali Rahmon who has been in office for the past 23 years.
The Islamic Renaissance Party is the only legal religious party operating in the post-Soviet space.
Experts criticize Tajik authorities that stomp on any unauthorized manifestations of Islam. Dozens are thrown in jail yearly on counts of religious extremism which human rights defenders describe as a reaction to the persecution of religion, poverty and lack of education.
- Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko) who proclaimed himself Constantinople cleric says each Ukrainian orthodox bishop should choose whose side to belong 17 October 2018, 10:12
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02