17 August 2015, 10:00
Art exhibition at Moscow's Manege working as normal following attack by radical Orthodox activists
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The organizers of an art exhibition at the Manege exhibition hall in Moscow, which was ransacked by radical Orthodox activists on Friday evening, have filed a report on the incident with police and expect the damage to be evaluated.
"We filed a report yesterday. The damage caused is so far unknown. Police have seized four linocuts that were damaged, and we are waiting for an expert to evaluate the damage," Yelena Karneyeva, a spokesperson for the Manege association, told Interfax on Saturday.
The exhibition is working as normal now, she said.
The Interior Ministry department for Moscow told Interfax on Saturday that police had opened an inquiry into the incident.
Interfax had reported earlier that several activists led by Dmitry Tsorionov (Enteo), the leader of the Orthodox movement God's Will, had disrupted an exhibition called 'Sculptures We Don't See' at Manege on Friday evening. The attackers damaged several artworks, claiming that the exhibits insulted the feelings of true believers.
The exhibition displayed works by prominent Soviet avant-garde sculptor Vadim Sidur.
Tsorionov says all activists who were involved in an attack on exhibition have been freed from police. "We hope the exhibition will be closed, and those responsible will be dismissed," Tsorionov said on Twitter.
Tsorionov said his associates and he had not damaged a single sculpture in Manege. "The matter is only about a plate and some pieces of linoleum," he said.
"Our action is a cry, because no one hears us; the state doesn't protect what is holy to us today, and only some high-profile act can change something," Tsorionov said.
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57