17 August 2015, 14:43
Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - Claims to organizers of the exhibition in Manege should be expressed in peaceful dialogue in frames of the law, director of the Human Rights Center at the World Russian People's Council Roman Silantyev believes.
"I suppose that it would correct to have a friendly conversation with the organizers and point out to their mistake, and if such an attempt fails, to initiate an expertise of the exhibits by law enforcement agencies. Otherwise, it looks as a collusion aimed at promotion of both exhibition and Enteo," Silantyev told Interfax-Religion.
As was reported, on Friday evening several Orthodox activists leaded by the head of the God's Will (Bozhya Volya) movement Dmitry Tsorionov (Enteo) rushed into the exhibition The Sculptures We Do Not See held in Manege. The attackers said that exhibits insulted religious feelings and destroyed several works of arts. Soviet artist and avant-garde sculptor Vadim Sidur represented his works at the exhibition.
Manege officials are going to instigate a criminal case on the fact of demolition. An expert will evaluate the damage. The police withdrew four damaged linocuts, the exhibition works as usual. Tsorionov says he did not damage any sculptures: "it was only a plate and pieces of linoleum."
Silantyev said he was not sure that organizers of the exhibition wanted to insult religious feelings.
"We can't exclude that it is just ordinary stupidity. Organizers of the Be Careful of Religion! and a number of blasphemous performances aimed at provocation and consciously challenged the believers," he said, but added that all blasphemous exhibits should be excluded from Manege exposition.
Silantyev considers "absurd" attempts to compare Tsorionov to ISIS militants "as he had a predecessor in person of Israel Ambassador to Sweden Zvi Mazel who smashed anti-Jewish installation in 2004 in a Stockholm museum and no one dared to compare him to terrorists for this."
"I believe that no one is interested in repetition of such incidents so to prevent it both sides should be punished. I understand motives of Enteo's allies, but they should understand the necessity to observe the law and otherwise be brave enough to spend several years in prison," Silantyev summed up.
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04