17 August 2015, 14:43
Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - Claims to organizers of the exhibition in Manege should be expressed in peaceful dialogue in frames of the law, director of the Human Rights Center at the World Russian People's Council Roman Silantyev believes.
"I suppose that it would correct to have a friendly conversation with the organizers and point out to their mistake, and if such an attempt fails, to initiate an expertise of the exhibits by law enforcement agencies. Otherwise, it looks as a collusion aimed at promotion of both exhibition and Enteo," Silantyev told Interfax-Religion.
As was reported, on Friday evening several Orthodox activists leaded by the head of the God's Will (Bozhya Volya) movement Dmitry Tsorionov (Enteo) rushed into the exhibition The Sculptures We Do Not See held in Manege. The attackers said that exhibits insulted religious feelings and destroyed several works of arts. Soviet artist and avant-garde sculptor Vadim Sidur represented his works at the exhibition.
Manege officials are going to instigate a criminal case on the fact of demolition. An expert will evaluate the damage. The police withdrew four damaged linocuts, the exhibition works as usual. Tsorionov says he did not damage any sculptures: "it was only a plate and pieces of linoleum."
Silantyev said he was not sure that organizers of the exhibition wanted to insult religious feelings.
"We can't exclude that it is just ordinary stupidity. Organizers of the Be Careful of Religion! and a number of blasphemous performances aimed at provocation and consciously challenged the believers," he said, but added that all blasphemous exhibits should be excluded from Manege exposition.
Silantyev considers "absurd" attempts to compare Tsorionov to ISIS militants "as he had a predecessor in person of Israel Ambassador to Sweden Zvi Mazel who smashed anti-Jewish installation in 2004 in a Stockholm museum and no one dared to compare him to terrorists for this."
"I believe that no one is interested in repetition of such incidents so to prevent it both sides should be punished. I understand motives of Enteo's allies, but they should understand the necessity to observe the law and otherwise be brave enough to spend several years in prison," Silantyev summed up.
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51