26 August 2015, 10:04
Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions
Moscow, August 26, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has expressed concern over the seizing of Orthodox churches in Ukraine and criticized its law enforcement authorities for inaction.
"Over the past year since the civil standoff began in Ukraine, dozens of clergymen representing the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have been attacked, many dozens of churches have been seized or set ablaze. For some of the clerics, the violence shown towards them by their attackers proved fatal," head of the Synodal Information Department Vladimir Legoyda was quoted by his spokesperson as saying.
He said the last time radicals seized St. Vladimir Church (which belongs to the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church) near Kiev "is sticking out even from the sad catalogue of incidents associated with attacks by radical and splinter groups on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
Legoyda recalled that the attack was committed in the middle of a prayer service at the church. This "inevitably brings up the memory of grim pictures of the executions of the Orthodox priests in the 1920s-1930s."
"Serious concerns are also raised by the inaction of law enforcement authorities whose job is to be guardians of the law, but who allow youths from radical nationalist movements and splinter groups to act absolutely unlawfully," he said.
- Police stop unsanctioned action near Moscow church 13 August 2020, 10:43
- Belarusian Orthodox Church head to discuss with authorities possible peaceful resolution to protests (updated) 12 August 2020, 16:49
- Ukrainian Uman expects uo to 10,000 Chassidic pilgrims this year 11 August 2020, 15:36
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Lukashenko on winning Belarusian presidential election 11 August 2020, 10:00
- Tablighi Jamaat literature found in mosques in Mordovia, activists detained 10 August 2020, 20:44
- Some 30 Belarusian priests join flash mob against vote-rigging in election 10 August 2020, 18:35
- 'Main exorcist' of Russian Orthodox Church dies of coronavirus 10 August 2020, 18:27
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57