26 August 2015, 10:04
Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions
Moscow, August 26, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has expressed concern over the seizing of Orthodox churches in Ukraine and criticized its law enforcement authorities for inaction.
"Over the past year since the civil standoff began in Ukraine, dozens of clergymen representing the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have been attacked, many dozens of churches have been seized or set ablaze. For some of the clerics, the violence shown towards them by their attackers proved fatal," head of the Synodal Information Department Vladimir Legoyda was quoted by his spokesperson as saying.
He said the last time radicals seized St. Vladimir Church (which belongs to the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church) near Kiev "is sticking out even from the sad catalogue of incidents associated with attacks by radical and splinter groups on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
Legoyda recalled that the attack was committed in the middle of a prayer service at the church. This "inevitably brings up the memory of grim pictures of the executions of the Orthodox priests in the 1920s-1930s."
"Serious concerns are also raised by the inaction of law enforcement authorities whose job is to be guardians of the law, but who allow youths from radical nationalist movements and splinter groups to act absolutely unlawfully," he said.
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04