09 October 2015, 12:25
Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, October 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken of the importance of the Russian aerial operation in Syria and called on believers to pray for victory.
"We see what ominous and dangerous signs this day is sending to us. Quite close, near our borders, a war is taking place, the results of which are crucial, in particular, for the peace and welfare of the Holy Rus," the patriarch said after finishing a liturgy at the Laura of St. Sergius, which commemorated St. Sergius of Radonezh, "the hegumen of the Russian land."
"Sometimes the most dangerous and dreadful bloodsheds started far beyond the borders of our country - only for us to be hit hardest by the consequences of those wars: one needs only to recall what happened in the twentieth century," the Russian Orthodox Church leader said.
This is why even the current war, "which is taking place beyond the southern Russian borders can turn into a big war unless it is stopped now," the patriarch said.
Addressing pilgrims from the balcony of the patriarchal residence the church primate urged them "to pray in these days particularly hard about our people, including to Saint Sergius of Radonezh, whose prayers have once rid Rus from its foreign invaders." The patriarch expressed his hope that "the prayers will be able to stop the bloodshed and - most importantly - to move the danger away from our Fatherland."
"We shall ask God for his mercy to be with us all, for our Fatherland, as a result of military actions taking place today, to be protected from a hostile attack, from pernicious winds, from deadly ulcer, and from all kinds of evil," the patriarch said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15