26 October 2015, 11:18
Mufti of Syria thanks Russia for struggling against terrorism
***Assad does not exclude that a Christian can head the government
Moscow, October 26, Interfax - Supreme Mufti of Syria Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun highly praises Russia's role in settling the situation in his country.
"Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun heartily thanked Russia for struggling against terrorists and informed that since Russia started its air strikes against extremists' positions, over 800,000 refugees have returned to Syria," head of the State Duma Committee on Property Sergey Gavrilov said resuming his meeting with the mufti in Damascus.
MP's press service informs that coordinator of inter-faction deputy group on protecting Christian values Sergey Gavrilov, senator Dmitry Sablin, State Duma MP Alexander Yuschenko were members of the Russian delegation to Syria.
According to Gavrilov, meeting with Hassoun was dedicated to discussing spiritual interaction between Russia and Syria, extending humanitarian help, struggle against extremism. They also discusses a possibility for Syrian orphans to spend their vacations in Russia. The deputy reminded that almost 100 pupils of Orthodox orphanages from Syria, students of the boarding schools for children of the killed soldiers spent two weeks in the Moscow Region camp in 2014.
"Despite the fact that Syria is a secular state and its government does not have religious character, Syrian President Bashar Assad does not exclude a possibility that a Christian can become the next head of the government," Gavrilov also said.
Yuschenko told Interfax that Assad expressed an opinion that "without preserving Christians in the Middle East there can't be moderate Islam" and thanked Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for help.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11