26 October 2015, 11:18
Mufti of Syria thanks Russia for struggling against terrorism
***Assad does not exclude that a Christian can head the government
Moscow, October 26, Interfax - Supreme Mufti of Syria Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun highly praises Russia's role in settling the situation in his country.
"Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun heartily thanked Russia for struggling against terrorists and informed that since Russia started its air strikes against extremists' positions, over 800,000 refugees have returned to Syria," head of the State Duma Committee on Property Sergey Gavrilov said resuming his meeting with the mufti in Damascus.
MP's press service informs that coordinator of inter-faction deputy group on protecting Christian values Sergey Gavrilov, senator Dmitry Sablin, State Duma MP Alexander Yuschenko were members of the Russian delegation to Syria.
According to Gavrilov, meeting with Hassoun was dedicated to discussing spiritual interaction between Russia and Syria, extending humanitarian help, struggle against extremism. They also discusses a possibility for Syrian orphans to spend their vacations in Russia. The deputy reminded that almost 100 pupils of Orthodox orphanages from Syria, students of the boarding schools for children of the killed soldiers spent two weeks in the Moscow Region camp in 2014.
"Despite the fact that Syria is a secular state and its government does not have religious character, Syrian President Bashar Assad does not exclude a possibility that a Christian can become the next head of the government," Gavrilov also said.
Yuschenko told Interfax that Assad expressed an opinion that "without preserving Christians in the Middle East there can't be moderate Islam" and thanked Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for help.
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20
- Putin urges to follow the example of the chief rabbi of Russia - father of 14 children 11 September 2018, 13:05