26 October 2015, 11:18
Mufti of Syria thanks Russia for struggling against terrorism
***Assad does not exclude that a Christian can head the government
Moscow, October 26, Interfax - Supreme Mufti of Syria Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun highly praises Russia's role in settling the situation in his country.
"Ahmad Badreddin Hassoun heartily thanked Russia for struggling against terrorists and informed that since Russia started its air strikes against extremists' positions, over 800,000 refugees have returned to Syria," head of the State Duma Committee on Property Sergey Gavrilov said resuming his meeting with the mufti in Damascus.
MP's press service informs that coordinator of inter-faction deputy group on protecting Christian values Sergey Gavrilov, senator Dmitry Sablin, State Duma MP Alexander Yuschenko were members of the Russian delegation to Syria.
According to Gavrilov, meeting with Hassoun was dedicated to discussing spiritual interaction between Russia and Syria, extending humanitarian help, struggle against extremism. They also discusses a possibility for Syrian orphans to spend their vacations in Russia. The deputy reminded that almost 100 pupils of Orthodox orphanages from Syria, students of the boarding schools for children of the killed soldiers spent two weeks in the Moscow Region camp in 2014.
"Despite the fact that Syria is a secular state and its government does not have religious character, Syrian President Bashar Assad does not exclude a possibility that a Christian can become the next head of the government," Gavrilov also said.
Yuschenko told Interfax that Assad expressed an opinion that "without preserving Christians in the Middle East there can't be moderate Islam" and thanked Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for help.
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch of Bulgaria 05 March 2019, 12:33
- Russian Council of Muftis head forecasts dramatic increase in number of Muslims in Russia 04 March 2019, 17:18