28 October 2015, 15:45
Court sanctions student Karaulova's arrest on suspicion of belonging to terrorist organization
Moscow, October 28, Interfax - Moscow's Lefortovo District Court has ruled to take Moscow Lomonosov State University (MSU) student Varvara Karaulova into custody in a criminal case in which she is suspected of involvement in a terrorist organization's activities, the court's press service told Interfax.
"The court ruled to take Alexandra Pavlovna Ivanova [a.k.a. Varvara Karaulova] suspected of committing a crime covered by Russian Criminal Code Article 30 Part 1 and Article 205.5 Part 2 (preparation for participation in a terrorist organization's activities) into custody until December 23," court spokesperson Yulia Skotnikova told Interfax on Tuesday.
She explained that the court order in fact applies to Karaulova.
"She has changed her name and surname," she said.
It was reported earlier that Karaulova, a student of the MSU philosophy department, who supposedly planned to join the Islamic State, was detained in Turkey in an attempt to cross into Syria owing to Interpol's cooperation with the local authorities.
Karaulova had gone missing on May 27, 2015, after failing to attend university classes. A lawyer for Karaulova's family said she had taken interest in radical Islamic ideas. On June 11, Karaulova, escorted by Interpol and Turkish migration service officers, departed from eastern Turkey, where she had been held for several days at a migration center along with another 13 detained Russians, for Moscow via Istanbul.
The Investigative Committee's investigations department for Moscow is probing information indicating that an attempt had been made to recruit Karaulova. Based on its findings, the Investigative Committee is supposed to decide whether to open a criminal case or not. The investigation is also supposed to identify the recruiters who managed to prompt Karaulova to travel to Turkey.
Karaulova had been summoned to an investigator on Tuesday to be questioned regarding the attempt to recruit her.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47