28 October 2015, 15:45
Court sanctions student Karaulova's arrest on suspicion of belonging to terrorist organization
Moscow, October 28, Interfax - Moscow's Lefortovo District Court has ruled to take Moscow Lomonosov State University (MSU) student Varvara Karaulova into custody in a criminal case in which she is suspected of involvement in a terrorist organization's activities, the court's press service told Interfax.
"The court ruled to take Alexandra Pavlovna Ivanova [a.k.a. Varvara Karaulova] suspected of committing a crime covered by Russian Criminal Code Article 30 Part 1 and Article 205.5 Part 2 (preparation for participation in a terrorist organization's activities) into custody until December 23," court spokesperson Yulia Skotnikova told Interfax on Tuesday.
She explained that the court order in fact applies to Karaulova.
"She has changed her name and surname," she said.
It was reported earlier that Karaulova, a student of the MSU philosophy department, who supposedly planned to join the Islamic State, was detained in Turkey in an attempt to cross into Syria owing to Interpol's cooperation with the local authorities.
Karaulova had gone missing on May 27, 2015, after failing to attend university classes. A lawyer for Karaulova's family said she had taken interest in radical Islamic ideas. On June 11, Karaulova, escorted by Interpol and Turkish migration service officers, departed from eastern Turkey, where she had been held for several days at a migration center along with another 13 detained Russians, for Moscow via Istanbul.
The Investigative Committee's investigations department for Moscow is probing information indicating that an attempt had been made to recruit Karaulova. Based on its findings, the Investigative Committee is supposed to decide whether to open a criminal case or not. The investigation is also supposed to identify the recruiters who managed to prompt Karaulova to travel to Turkey.
Karaulova had been summoned to an investigator on Tuesday to be questioned regarding the attempt to recruit her.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11