28 October 2015, 15:45
Court sanctions student Karaulova's arrest on suspicion of belonging to terrorist organization
Moscow, October 28, Interfax - Moscow's Lefortovo District Court has ruled to take Moscow Lomonosov State University (MSU) student Varvara Karaulova into custody in a criminal case in which she is suspected of involvement in a terrorist organization's activities, the court's press service told Interfax.
"The court ruled to take Alexandra Pavlovna Ivanova [a.k.a. Varvara Karaulova] suspected of committing a crime covered by Russian Criminal Code Article 30 Part 1 and Article 205.5 Part 2 (preparation for participation in a terrorist organization's activities) into custody until December 23," court spokesperson Yulia Skotnikova told Interfax on Tuesday.
She explained that the court order in fact applies to Karaulova.
"She has changed her name and surname," she said.
It was reported earlier that Karaulova, a student of the MSU philosophy department, who supposedly planned to join the Islamic State, was detained in Turkey in an attempt to cross into Syria owing to Interpol's cooperation with the local authorities.
Karaulova had gone missing on May 27, 2015, after failing to attend university classes. A lawyer for Karaulova's family said she had taken interest in radical Islamic ideas. On June 11, Karaulova, escorted by Interpol and Turkish migration service officers, departed from eastern Turkey, where she had been held for several days at a migration center along with another 13 detained Russians, for Moscow via Istanbul.
The Investigative Committee's investigations department for Moscow is probing information indicating that an attempt had been made to recruit Karaulova. Based on its findings, the Investigative Committee is supposed to decide whether to open a criminal case or not. The investigation is also supposed to identify the recruiters who managed to prompt Karaulova to travel to Turkey.
Karaulova had been summoned to an investigator on Tuesday to be questioned regarding the attempt to recruit her.
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53