29 October 2015, 16:17
Patriarch Kirill to again lead celebrations of 1,000th anniversary of Russian presence on Athos
Moscow, October 29, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia plans to visit Athos in spring 2016, when the 1,000th anniversary of Russian presence on Athos is celebrated.
"I hope His Holiness will visit Athos in 2016. I think it will most likely happen in spring. Of course, we will try to mark this wonderful date well," head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, told reporters in Moscow on Thursday, responding to a question from Interfax-Religion.
The metropolitan said preparations for the visit are being made and Russian monasteries on Athos are being rebuilt.
"A lot of renovation work has been done on Athos monasteries in the past few years. Additionally, we plan a series of events in Russia. They will be scientific symposiums and congresses of monks to mark this date well," he said.
Patriarch Kirill visited Athos in June 2013 and, among other things, called for the rebuilding of the Xilurgu Monastery, the first Russian monastery on Mount Athos.
The metropolitan also said the patriarch plans to visit Istanbul for a meeting of the heads of local Orthodox Churches devoted to the preparations for the All-Orthodox Assembly. "It is expected to take place in January," he said, adding that the preparations for the Assembly are far from being completed and its date is unknown.
The first Russian monastery on Athos was founded under Holy Prince Vladimir and was called the Monastery of Virgin the Xilurgu. It was first mentioned in writing in February 1016. This date is regarded as the beginning of Russian presence on Athos.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57