01 December 2015, 15:28
Islamist group involving Russian detained in Kyrgyzstan
Bishkek, December 1, Interfax - The Kyrgyz State Committee for National Security has stopped the activity of a group of the Hizb ut-Tahrir extremist religious organization involving a Russian citizen, a representative of the committee press service has told Interfax.
"The illegal activity of a clandestine Hizb ut-Tahrir cell was stopped on Tuesday within the framework of measures counteracting religious extremism in the city of Bishkek and the Chui Region," he said.
"Two citizens of Kyrgyzstan and one citizen of Russia were detained in that operation; a criminal case was opened against them and an inquiry started," the representative said.
In his words, members of the Hizb ut-Tahrir group were actively spreading radical ideology and forcing young people to join the extremist organization. More than 600 copies of extremist books and electronic media containing similar information were seized from the detainees in the course of the searches.
Hizb ut-Tahrir al Islami was set up in Palestine in 1953. Its supporters call for deposition of governments in Central Asian countries and the creation of one Islamic Caliphate. Russia and other CIS countries have classified this party as a terrorist organization, unlike the United States and Western Europe where Hizb ut-Tahrir has operated unimpeded.
Members of Hizb ut-Tahrir were most actively involved in staging provocations against Muslims, including attempted coups in Syria, Egypt, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and elsewhere.
Russia's Supreme Court recognized Hizb ut-Tahrir al Islami as a terrorist organization on February 14, 2003 and banned it in Russia.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14