07 December 2015, 11:56
Initiative of Ilia II to give him the right to pardon convicts is a misunderstanding - parliament speaker
Tbilisi, December 7, Interfax - Georgian Parliament Speaker David Usupashvili believes the initiative of Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia to give him the right to pardon convicts is a misunderstanding.
"I cannot recall a situation when this heavy burden was placed on anyone except for the president," Usupashvili told reporters, commenting on the initiative voiced by the patriarch, saying he should have the right to pardon convicts and accused persons.
"I don't recall such a constitutional model. It seems that we have a misunderstanding here because I don't know of precedents when it was done differently: pardon as exemption from punishment. It's a prerogative of the president," Usupashvili said.
The Georgian patriarch, who watched a play staged by convicted women in the Rustaveli Tbilisi State Drama in the company of government officials on Saturday, said he should have the right to pardon convicts.
"I think the patriarch should have the right to pardon prisoners and accused persons. We have spoken about that with the prime minister and I hope he will raise this question," Ilia II said.
Some politicians and members of the Georgian public negatively reacted to the patriarch's initiative, believing that this idea contradicts the spirit of the country's constitutional system, in accordance with which only the president has the right to pardon prisoners.
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20
- Putin urges to follow the example of the chief rabbi of Russia - father of 14 children 11 September 2018, 13:05
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia opposes appointment of exarchs to Ukraine 11 September 2018, 10:52