08 December 2015, 10:52
Moscow court sentences Islamist to four years in penitentiary
Moscow, December 8, Interfax - The Moscow Lefortovsky Court has sentenced a Russian national who fought for the opposition in Syria to four years in a penitentiary, court press secretary Yulia Skotnikova told Interfax on Tuesday.
"Russian citizen Tural Asvar-ogly Ragimov was found guilty under Part 2, Article 208 of the Russian Criminal Code [involvement in an illegal armed unit in the territory of a foreign state]. A sentence of four years in a general penitentiary was handed down," Skotnikova said.
The defendant went to Syria in 2013 with the purpose of fighting for the opposition, she said. According to materials in the proceeding, the defendant was a follower of radical Islam.
The sentence took effect in August 2015.
An informed source told Interfax on December 2 that over 150 Russians who had been fighting for the opposition or for terrorist organizations in Syria were convicted this year.
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35