18 December 2015, 10:20
Moscow court extends arrest of student who attempted joining ISIL until late March
Moscow, December 18, Interfax - Moscow's Lefortovo District Court extended until March 27 the arrest of Moscow State University student Alexandra Ivanova (a.k.a. Varvara Karaulova) charged with attempting to join ISIL, or the Islamic State, a terrorist organization banned in Russia.
The court accommodated the investigators' request in Thursday by keeping the student in custody for another three months and five days, an Interfax correspondent said.
The court refused to change the preventive measure against Ivanova (Karaulova) to house arrest, as was requested by the defense team.
The case papers state that the period of the pretrial investigations into the Ivanova (Karaulova) case has been extended until April 23, 2016.
The Lefortovo District Court sanctioned the arrest of the 19-year old student on October 28, ruling to leave her in custody until December 23. She was charged with an attempted participation in a terrorist organization. The case papers say that Ivanova (Karaulova) pleaded guilty when interrogated as a defendant. The Moscow City Court, a court of a higher instance, has found her arrest to be lawful.
The criminal case against the student was opened on October 23.
Karaulova went missing in Moscow on May 27 after going to university and not showing up in class. Then early in June we learnt that 13 Russians, including Karaulova, were detained near the Turkey-Syria border. The Russians were supposedly planning to join the Islamic State terrorist organization. Karaulova returned to Moscow on June 11. She changed her name and last name afterwards.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09