24 December 2015, 17:39
Remains of Tsesarevich Alexey, Grand Duchess Maria transferred to Novospassky Monastery
Moscow, December 24, Interfax - The remains of two children of Russia's last Emperor Nicholas II, Tsevarevich Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria, are in the Novospassky Monastery in Moscow, Sergey Mironenko, a member of the State Archive and a member of the governmental working group, told Interfax.
"The remains have been provided to the Russian Orthodox Church and are in the Novospassky Monastery," he said.
On Wednesday, the Russian government press service reported on the decision to provide the remains of Tsevarevich Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria from the State Archive to the Russian Orthodox Church for storage. The remains will be stored in the Russian Orthodox until the end of the investigative actions.
Alexander Zakatov, director of the House of Romanov chancellery, told Interfax the Moscow Novospassky Monastery is historically connected to the Romanov family.
"The sepulcher of the forefathers of the dynasty before its enthronement is located there. Future Patriarch Filaret Romanov was father superior of this monastery for some time. Additionally, the remains of Great Prince Sergey Alexandrovich, who was killed by terrorists, was transferred to the monastery in our time," Zakatov said.
The House of Romanov is led by Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, who lives in Spain.
"Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna loves all churches and monasteries, but this monastery is special, the remains of many of her ancestors rest there," Zakatov said.
"If there is at least some hope that the Yekaterinburg remains are related to the tsar's family, it is right that they have been provided to the church and have now been placed in the Novospassky Monastery," a representative of the House of Romanov said.
The government press service earlier reported a comparative study of the remains of Emperor Alexander III and the remains of Emperor Nicholas II is now being conducted as part of the criminal case and scientists expect to get the first results of this study in January 2016.
The new genetic tests aim to resolve the issue of authenticity of the remains of Russia's last Emperor Nicholas II, his wife Alexandra and their children.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15