25 December 2015, 16:41
Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin predicts catastrophe in Russia by 2017 if problems are not discussed
Moscow, December 25, Interfax - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, deputy head of the World Russian People's Assembly, believes the absence of ideological freedom and a broad public debate may cause a catastrophe in Russia by 2017.
"Some people believe that public debate should be minimized, that what is going on in people's minds, in the sphere of communication between people should be ignored and in that way we can calmly live to 2017 or 2018. Dear ladies and gentlemen, it's not going to happen," Father Vsevolod told a press conference in Moscow on Friday.
"The conservatism, which is trying to cleanse the sphere of ideas, close the key issues to the present and future of the country and the world, people who think and act in this way commit political suicide - they will be gone," he said.
The priest was dismissed from the post of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relation's head on Thursday. The Holy Synod founded the Department for Relations between the Church, Society and the Mass Media by merging the Synodal Information Department and the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations. The new structure is led by Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Information Department. However, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said he links his dismissal to differences with Patriarch Kirill.
The priest said one should engage in "translating eternal values into the language of living debate, living public interest, living religious creative work, civil action," not in maintaining specific orders and things, good or bad.
"If we try to keep silent about some problems, we can delay the catastrophe by a year or two, but by doing so we will make it inevitable," he said.
He believes that "all those immoral elites that are now keeping the country from developing" should become history and "we need to actively offer models of peaceful rebuilding of the country, including moral rebuilding, to prevent a revolution" to improve the country's administration.
"The administration has changed, the power is no longer in the hands of the security structures, formal state or religious hierarchies and commercial structures. The administration is now formed in the world of ideas. The one who will be the first to word and state ideas that will appropriately form the future will get the power," the priest said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15